Are PADI OWD allowed to teach scuba diving during pool demos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I came here for information on Pool Demo's, as I only have the Open Water Book, and guess what there isn't any info in there on pool demos.

So the next time you need to make some snide remark on my intentions, keep it to yourself. I am not here to waste anyone's time and you shouldn't judge me based on how new I am to this forum.

Sorry, but it is not clear as to "what" you are. Are you a "dive master in training"?

Required material for the DM course include the Dive Master Manual and the Instructor Manual.

Yes, I came here for information on Pool Demo's, as I only have the Open Water Book, and guess what there isn't any info in there on pool demos.

So the next time you need to make some snide remark on my intentions, keep it to yourself. I am not here to waste anyone's time and you shouldn't judge me based on how new I am to this forum.

They're "holding" your passport... aren't they?

:crafty:

a PADI divemaster candidate? did you get a PADI Divemaster crewpak and hologram? Did you already cover your Standards and Procedures? Did you read the standards on the Instructor Manual (part of the crewpak)?

Yes what are you? First you say you are working as a Dive Master intern, then you say you are currently an OW Diver which is it? As mentioned if you are a DM candidate you should have the required materials, if not you should be requesting them. Also RJP was right to post his remark, you should have given more information that you were not given the required materials earlier in your post as we do not know that, we know if you are a DM candidate you should have them. And as for being new you were a member back in 2013 and 2 years later your first post is naming names of a dive center with a negative post that is usually not a great first impression.

Now saying PADI knowingly is turning a blind eye to this type of practice I find hard to believe as if there is an accident and there have been complaints, reports ect sent to PADI on this they will also be held liable for not taking any action. As for selling PADI courses anyone can sell a course.

a PADI divemaster candidate? did you get a PADI Divemaster crewpak and hologram? Did you already cover your Standards and Procedures? Did you read the standards on the Instructor Manual (part of the crewpak)?

I'm guessing he's still an OW diver on Week 2 of his AOW-to-Instructor "Zero to Hero" internship. Unhappy to find out that "Living the dream of going pro in the Caribbean" isn't all cute blonde students and umbrella drinks. I'm picturing 8-to-a-room sleeping arrangements, chow-hall meals, no air conditioning, less-than-Ritz Carlton facilities, and mosquitoes. (And a Mexican lawyer... just to put a bow on the whole thing.)

Sorry someone in thus thread has offended you, but you must understand that since the prerequisites for the PADI Divemaster are AOWD and Rescue Diver, it seemed odd that someone with these qualifications would describe himself as an open water diver.

As to your question, someone already said no, it is not OK.

I would add that even with 2 experienced divers to a single trainee, at least one death has happened that I can think of immediately:
https://translate.google.com/transl...maa/art-1288337488281.html&edit-text=&act=url
Have the qualifications and the advised insurance or don't do it.

Why not call the 1 800 number on the padi website and ask for the training dept?. thats what i do when i have a question regarding training and standards.

I am 100% certain that the people giving the instruction were not dive masters. I was working as a Divemaster Intern for Dressel Diver International.

I am currently an Open Water Diver, and during pool demo's Dressel assigned us to work in pairs. One person working in the pool doing the instruction, and the other walking around the pool enticing hotel guests to come into the pool and try out scuba diving. The goal was to sell Discover Scuba diving courses, or better yet, Open Water Courses. Dressel Divers is very strict on how much we must sell, as they will terminate our internship if we do not sell to their expectations (and expectations are high). I usually got assigned to the pool duty (giving the instruction) as Dressel wanted its more experienced people working the customers off the pool deck, in order to increase their sales. They didn't want a fresh intern who didn't know how to sell causing them to lose out on a sale.

So the least experienced person (myself and others) were often the one giving the instruction. The other more experienced interns, were to focus on selling the product and closing the sale. Now, some of these more experienced sellers were DM's or Instructors, but the majority of them were not. Most days I was was working with another intern, me being OWC, and the other intern being Advanced Open Water (he was certified AOW a few weeks ago with Dressel). Even on days where I was working with a DM or Instructor, they were largely not present during the pool instruction that I was giving. Just as Dressel didn't want them to waste time, and so they were constantly finding the next person for me to take in the water. On other days I was largely left to myself, responsible for enticing people from around the hotel area into the water and suiting them up and scuba diving around the pool with them.

I am currently in the process of writing a very detailed letter to the company detailing my experience and I wanted to have more information regarding the PADI guidelines surrounding pool demos to include in this letter. There are several other things Dressel Divers is doing that are illegal and rather deplorable, mainly in the way they exploit their interns (I have a lawyer here in Mexico currently reviewing these other issues)

I have talked to other dive centers here in Playa Del Carmen and have been told several times that PADI is aware of the rules being broken by Dressel Divers, but that they turn a blind eye due to the fact the amount of money Dressel Divers makes them. I am hoping this is not true, but apparently they are telling me since PADI is no longer owned by Divers, it is more business orientated.

How are you a Divemaster intern and :

- don't have the divemaster manual and instructor manual which outlines all these requirements?

- are a DM intern and only OW since you need to be rescue to be in a DM program?

Say, you aren't in some sort of zero to hero program so you could try and get over on the requirements by signing on to some absurd indentured servant program and get discounted instruction are you?

Caveat emptor.

LOLZ...I don't think this thread is going the way the OP planned. :facepalm:

LOLZ...I don't think this thread is going the way the OP planned. :facepalm:

Because you guys are being total A-holes. Look at their website for the dive master internship program. It clearly states they will take a diver AT ANY LEVEL and turn him into a divemaster for free.

Divemaster Internship Entry Requirements

To join our dive internship you need to be 18 years or older, know how to swim and be in good health to dive.

dressel divers.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom