Are PADI Specialties worth it?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, they're not "worth it." But I have taken some and may take more. My thinking is that even if 99% of the course is useless and I only pick up a single nugget from each course, it's something. For those of us without mentors, PADI specialities can be a convenient way to learn a few things. But it's not an efficient way to learn in terms of amount of useful information gained per dollar spent.

If you want to really improve your diving skill, take a look at GUE primer or UTD essential of rec. Not certification course, but if you are committed and getting a card isn't your first priority, you will learn a lot. The instructors will make you work for it. Their standard is high. I would suggest you take one of these classes instead of AOW
These classes I will agree with, but feel UTD Essentials would be great for newer divers. Not that GUE isn't a great class, and the instructors are excellent, having trained with all three of them. It is a little softer of an introduction. Just happens there is an instructor out of SF who teaches it. They are all more expensive than PADI, but dollar for dollar the training is a far better deal. It will improve not only your dive skills but more importantly your buddy skills, and gas management.

Elliott Jessup is the local instrcutor for UTD. Talk to him as his email and phone number is listed, and see if it is something for you. (I don't think Don C is teaching anymore, but please correct me if I am wrong.)
USA, Mexico & Canada based UTD Instructors - Unified Team Diving

Here is a class overview.
Essentials of Recreational Diving - Unified Team Diving

Don't want to leave GUE out. You can poke around their website.
http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/

It also depends on if you want to be an instructor. If you are able to learn and get those specialties then you will be able to teach them once you become an instructor. :)

Just keep having fun. Take the specialties you like as well, that way you are doing the things you like to do.

Continued mentoring in scuba is very valuable - however you get it. Just diving with other folks at your current level does not quickly or greatly expand your skills. I believe the best answer to this question in many circumstances is a knowledgeable instructor. Rule 1 and 2 for interviewing instructors - ask how many dives they have done and how many dives they have done this year - that's a good start. One who gives you a card with minimal personal involvement creates bad press and experience for diving ed. OK, I'm a PADI instructor (disclaimer here) . However, when I help folks lose 10 lb or more off their weighting and enhancing ther bouyancy control in the Peak Performance Bouyancy course, it opens up a whole other world for them. Oh did I mention some of these folks I've trained have 100+ dives and have been wearing 10+lbs of weight more than me in the same or less exposure protection and have said they "help the newer divers." .....(it is not about the number of dives but the experience/currency of experience of the instructor and an attitude that there is something to learn from every dive). Peace (yeah, relaxation is a big part of it).

I'd be very interested in how actively an instructor utilizes the topic of a specialty in their own dives and how many personal dives they make.

Just because somebody took a (shallow, low content under taught fruitless) specialty does not make them someone I want to learn the topic from once they get an instructor ticket.

Pete

I'd be very interested in how actively an instructor utilizes the topic of a specialty in their own dives and how many personal dives they make.

Just because somebody took a (shallow, low content under taught fruitless) specialty does not make them someone I want to learn the topic from once they get an instructor ticket.

Pete

Exactly my point, but maybe better presented :wink: . Simply completing a limited number of dives in a specialty does not an expert make. I would want to know how many of those dives were in the type of environment and specialty area that I'm interested in.

You know what gripes me about this whole situation? In the early 70's, diving courses were long and complete. Most of the "dive specialties" were addressed and thoroughly taught in the basic schools. When diver came out of those schools, they were well taught competent divers, for the most part.

Then a particular agency came along and "dumbed down" the training. People graduating from the basic school were dangerously unprepared for safe diving, IMO. BUT, don't worry...you can only become safe if you take this and that additional training for $$$$$.

I know. The original schools took a long time and many people may not have been as ready to take such a committment. But, for Pete's sake, some divers coming out of todays schools barely know how to clear a mask and many schools don't even teach buddy breathing any more. I have seen situations where this archaic technique was required.

I could go on, but time to end my rant.

Hi All! I am newly certified and am very excited about learning and diving. For most of the PADI specialties I think that it is more of a sales pitch than really something to consider. Something like deep diving, nitrox, cave, altitude..etc make sense that extra training is needed. There are dangers that an unprepared diver will face and I don't mind spending my money to learn these skills when the time comes. But diving from a boat, Peak Performance Buoyancy, navigation..etc seem more like PADI or instructors wanting to charge you for something you can just learn in a book or with other experienced divers.

Should I pay and take these specialties or am i just as ok without them?

I have my OW, Nitrox and am currently taking my Advanced OW (Deep, Nav, Night, Peak Perf. buoyancy, and Boat).

Depends on the specialities. Cave? That ain't cave diving. Wreck? That ain't real wreck diving. I find it utterly laughable that people took these specialties and then bandy the titles of cave divers or wreck divers about like they've actually learned something.

Nitrox? I can check out a nitrox book in a public library and would learn a lot more. Peak Buoyancy Performance? A couple of seasoned divers taught me and got me well started in one dive trip. Boat Diving? Gimme a break, if that isn't a total joke of a specialty then I don't know what is.

The only speciality that was worthwhile to me was drysuit cert. I get to dive in a drysuit without having to buy one, and I can rent drysuit with that card. That's about it.

You know what gripes me about this whole situation? In the early 70's, diving courses were long and complete. Most of the "dive specialties" were addressed and thoroughly taught in the basic schools. When diver came out of those schools, they were well taught competent divers, for the most part.

Then a particular agency came along and "dumbed down" the training. People graduating from the basic school were dangerously unprepared for safe diving, IMO. BUT, don't worry...you can only become safe if you take this and that additional training for $$$$$.

I know. The original schools took a long time and many people may not have been as ready to take such a committment. But, for Pete's sake, some divers coming out of todays schools barely know how to clear a mask and many schools don't even teach buddy breathing any more. I have seen situations where this archaic technique was required.

I could go on, but time to end my rant.

I couldn't agree more! Please keep in mind that not all Agencies/Instructors teach minimalist courses like this. My program hasn't changed substantially (other than updating my teaching methods and delivery with computer technology) for 40 years. There are other Instructors who feel as you do. Part of the 'blame' however, is the students themselves. The focus isn't necessarily on quality, but price. The shorter the training the better. It's the "I want it cheap and I want it now" attitude of today's consumer. The formula that has made McDonalds and so many other companies successful. The transition of focus to profit over education/safety was inevitable for the diving business and make no mistake, it's big business. People deserve the Government they elect and in the case of most diving courses, the level of training they usually receive. In today's Society, you usually get what you pay for...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom