Are rebreathers getting safer over time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A human can do a great job of predicting needed changes and "running" it better than a theoretical, 100% purely automatic CCR. Does that make sense?

Whilst I don't disagree that a human is (usually) better at predicting the needed changes when they can focus 100%, especially with the limited sensors used in most CCRs, the ascent phase can be the time where there is an awful lot going on. It would be very simple to miss a manual O2 injection whilst you reel in the DSMB, vent the drysuit, wing and lungs, check stop depth..... (I have never dived a mCCR, so can’t speak about the mindset and training that you have to counteract this). As shown, control doesn’t have to be instantaneous and fully predictive to maintain a breathable loop, so using a computer for this whilst you monitor ppo2 and perhaps focus on other tasks a computer can’t do seems a sensible use of resources. You can always fire in a slug of O2 if you think the controller is getting behind. Indeed, I know some divers who spike O2 before starting the ascent to give themselves a head-start as it were.

-Mark

One thing to remember about an mCCR is that (at least the KISS and Meg COPIS units) have a constant oxygen flow into the loop that is slightly below what the diver burns. Missing an O2 injection while focusing on something else will likely not result in a hypoxic condition. You might be below where you want to be, but you've got O2 flowing constantly to keep you alive.

Yes, I’d forgotten the leaky O2 valves, does make things a tad simpler! :)

I don’t have a lot of experience on different CCR, so take my comments for what they are worth, but I do think that the level of automation that current eCCRs have is fine for a thinking diver and the “yellow box of death” status is probably overdone. I don’t believe that your CCR is actively trying to kill you (although that’s perhaps not a bad mentality to have, keeps you on your toes). The information is there to keep a breathable loop, it’s the (mis)interpretation that tends to lead to incidents. There are drills and techniques for pretty much all events (one cell voted out? dil flush to a known gas. Breathing rate going up? Bailout to known gas, etc) but we don’t always take the right one. But that has to be addressed on the training side, not so much on the equipment in my view, similar to technical OC diving. A computer is very good at doing repetitive tasks over and over, something that a human usually isn’t. Current eCCRs are reliable, they can keep setpoint if you ask them to and to report ppO2, leaving the diver to monitor, think about and act on the information provided.

Where I will concede there is a difference between OC and CCR, and hence on the safety of ccr, is that there are perhaps fewer “allowable” mistakes that you can make before you are so deep in the incident pit that recovery is impossible. Which is why I don’t believe in “recreational” ccr, although I will readily admit that I have not tried units such as the Hollis Explorer or Poseidon Se7en. To me, you need to have a more “tec” minded attitude to dive a CCR, be aware of the nature of the system you are using and work with it, not just throw something on your back and jump in. I think more automation / safety checks etc is actually not the way to go, it fosters too much dependence on everything working just so, which in a low volume market will never find the cash to fund the development required. A resort diver can grab a tank and go diving. If that particular tank setup doesn’t “work” (its empty, the BCD leaks, whatever), chances are he can grab the next one in the rack and not miss the dive. I don’t see there ever being enough volume CCR units for that to happen, and so with all the time pressures we have in life, corners will be cut and bodges made to get the unit in the water somehow.

So, in a very long winded way (sorry), I think CCRs are safer if you look at them with the same mindset as you would a tec diving rig. You need good training to handle stages / different gasses, and similar to handle a CCR. If you have that training they are great to dive IMHO and are nothing to be scared about. They don’t need to be the preserve of hard-core technical diving. I don’t think they are safe enough for “casual” rec diving however, and nor will they be any time soon.

-Mark

I can't help but to ask the OP to revert back to his original question, "do YOU think rebreathers are getting safer" ???

"Safer than WHAT?" is really the question.

Hell, I know for certain that l would be dead within days of my wife discovering that I had purchased one!

:D

That's why you buy second-hand... "What, this old thing? Had it for ages...." :wink:

Sadly my buddy has let my wife know that, unlike the rest​ of my gear, a RB is not "$30 on ebay"

Originally my wife was 110% against me getting s rebreather. Over time she ended up being OK with it and now she wants me to finish my instructor cert and give her a try dive on the unit.

Yes, I know I'm a lucky guy.

"Safer than WHAT?" is really the question.

Safer than they were just 10 (or 5, or 20) years ago, in a meaningful way that actually matters in practice (deliberately trying to stay away here from beating the "are they safe in general" or "as safe as OC" horse, and trying to give it a hopefully somewhat more constructive spin).

Sadly my buddy has let my wife know that, unlike the rest​ of my gear, a RB is not "$30 on ebay"

Maybe one of those green Russkie boxes? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom