Are Rock Boots necessary with neoprene socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suit has Trilam socks, so rock boots are a must, or even regular neoprene booties. I found out that Decathlon hiking boots work perfect for me. I just cut out the tongue and they're super low profile, and I decided to get rid of my neoprene booties and just use the hiking boors with neoprene socks even when I'm diving wet. Much more comfortable for shore diving and for climbing.

1693565976460.png

I'm mostly going to be boat diving. I really don't want to add the additional bulk of some chunky boots.

Is there an argument to go full blown Rock Boot vs. neoprene booties?
I don't really understand all the replies advocating rock boots. If you're diving from a boat, ordinary neoprene boots over your drysuit's neoprene socks should work fine. Maybe a lot of divers, even those who only dive from boats, just like "look" of chunky, thick-soled rock boots. If you had instead said you would be walking over rocks for a shore dive, then of course get rock boots! But on a boat, I can't imagine it matters very much what kind of footwear you wear over your drysuit's neoprene socks.

I don't really understand all the replies advocating rock boots. If you're diving from a boat, ordinary neoprene boots over your drysuit's neoprene socks should work fine. Maybe a lot of divers, even those who only dive from boats, just like "look" of chunky, thick-soled rock boots. If you had instead said you would be walking over rocks for a shore dive, then of course get rock boots! But on a boat, I can't imagine it matters very much what kind of footwear you wear over your drysuit's neoprene socks.
I use rockboots all the time with my drysuit; my fins fit perfectly that way, and the boots save the suit feet from abrasion.

Thanks, this was indeed what I was asking. I am going to be taking some classes in cenotes in Mexico soon, so maybe there will be some bit of walking...

I think you nailed it. Some of us dive from all sorts of spots.. sometimes a boat, sometimes a shore dive. I'm fine having one pair that does it all

I picked up a pair of the Poseidon Chuck Taylor lookalikes from DGX's clearout sale (there's a new V2 model). They've been protective enough over my neoprene socks (4th Element suit) with some fairly unpleasant shore entries. Added bonus is that with the stretchy neoprene material and bungee laces, they do a great job of keeping the air in my feet under control. I used to use fin keepers with my other wetsuit boots, but find I don't need them with the Poseidon boots. We'll see how long the heel zip lasts, though.

Well, I forgot my rock boots the other day, so to salvage the dive, I used my sneakers with the insole removed. It was a bit tight, but being a lazy person, I had already replaced the laces in all my sneakers with bungee cords so they were all slip on. I loosened the bungee and saved the dive. It was a bit tight walking on land but underwater was no issue. The only thing was that it took two days for the sneakers to dry out in the garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom