Are Salvo Lights as Good as Light Monkey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is a used Salvo 18W a good buy at CAN$300?

Anything else I should look for to make sure it's in good shape? Are they any specific red flags? I had a look at the light last night and noticed little black flecks in the bulb (might have just been in the lamp cover). Is that normal? Also because the can cap is transparent I could see that a couple of the little screws in the cap have small amounts of rust at their tips. Is that anything to be concerned about?

Hmm, how does one arrange a burn test before a sale? According to the seller she used to get 3.5+ hrs on a charge, and that it's been lightly used. Any way to test this, short of hanging out at her house for a few hours while it's on?

You don't sound like someone I'd want to sell a used light to.

This is a can light, not a shuttle launch.

It is a $300 used can light. With it having a clear top it might have a medical grade HID bulb that was used before the more durable automotive ones came out. It is cheap and works so it will get you going. My only concern is that if you are putting this much thought into a used can light you are probably going to feel ripped off when it does go out which it will at some time. You are paying about 1/5 of what a new more durable led light will cost that has a warranty. It is a gamble just like buying a used car with no warranty. Oh and if you are planning on starting tech diving $300 is cheap I have spent $300 just for gas for one dive. You might really want to reconsider your hobby if you are having this much heart burn over $300.

Points taken. The problem with not knowing what you don't know is that when you know you don't know what you don't know then you might assume that there's much more to know than there is.

Hmm, how does one arrange a burn test before a sale? According to the seller she used to get 3.5+ hrs on a charge, and that it's been lightly used. Any way to test this, short of hanging out at her house for a few hours while it's on?
Simplest way - fill kitchen sink with water; turn light on and put in sink. Check every 15 minutes until light goes out. If light was on at 2:30 but out at 2:45; light is good for at least 2:30 of burn time. A battery in good condition will have 70-80% of its original life remaining.

For the light you're talking about; if it works and the original 3.5 hour battery has at least 2 hours remaining, I'd probably buy it for $300 and be happy to get a year's worth of use out of it.

Use a bucket, not a sink.

Sinks have a tendency to drain, and if you walk away and forget about it, you might just have a ruined light when you get back.

Use a bucket, not a sink.

Sinks have a tendency to drain, and if you walk away and forget about it, you might just have a ruined light when you get back.

Bucket test it is. Just brought the light home. Going to put a couple of dives on it tomorrow and burn test it later. Thanks for the input everybody.

Simplest way - fill kitchen sink with water; turn light on and put in sink. Check every 15 minutes until light goes out. If light was on at 2:30 but out at 2:45; light is good for at least 2:30 of burn time. A battery in good condition will have 70-80% of its original life remaining.

For the light you're talking about; if it works and the original 3.5 hour battery has at least 2 hours remaining, I'd probably buy it for $300 and be happy to get a year's worth of use out of it.

+1 on the bucket, and put only the light head in the bucket (of water), batteries don't take to kindly to water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom