Are the Goliath Grouper running off the Coast yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks everyone for the posts. I am still hunting but m thinking of doing Singer Island overnight for a break.

We are going on Friday with Jim Abernethy on his liveaboard "Shearwater" which he is using for day trip goliath dives. There are 12 divers max (and we expect less than that on a weekday). It is an all-day trip (leave at 9 and back by 4-5) and he gives 3 dives with long surface intervals. We are going to rent steel 100s for this trip. You bring 2 tanks and he re-fills one on the boat during your second dive. They do fill nitrox on the boat. Boat has A/C, nice cabin, battery chargers, and, best of all, a hot cooked lunch by his chef. They pick whatever sites are hottest with the fish.

Cost is around $100 plus the air fill, plus whatever gear you need to rent. I think it is a fantastic deal for 3 deeper dives and everything else.

They are easily accessible from Singer Island. I would recommend you go to Dan Volker's site, sfdj.com, which can link you to special rates at the Hilton.

Also, having dove with them before, I can tell you that their service and their care for their divers is just incredible, at a level that I have rarely seen. This is one of the best dive ops anywhere.

I just did the three tank Goliath Grouper Dive with Jim Abernethy on Shear Water this past Sunday. Awesome trip! Lots of Goliath Grouper, great crew, wonderful food, ....... What more could you ask for?

fabulous and thanks for all the great tips. Just lost 2 staff members, one in each store so not really sure when I can get two days now. But hopefully the wind will blow a little cherub of a sales person my way.

We got into some Goliaths on the Castor off Boynton Beach a few years back while free diving. The groupers seemed to be more at ease without regulator exhaust allowing some pretty close approaches. There is a video at the link below. Would love to go back and shoot it again with a better camera before they drift off again for the season.

Complete Video - Wreck of the Castor, Goliath Grouper Central - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

We had wonderful diving yesterday. 100+ vis on all three dives.

Juno Ledges, excellent reef, 2 goliaths, pretty light current.

Governor's riverwalk Wrecks. spectacular vis!!. Mod. current (1 knot), lots of tropicals but no goliaths.

Atlantis and Spud Barge. 70 Vis. Navigated away from the group to the spud barge. 8 Goliaths underneath and we went in there with them. AWESOME!!!

The zion had terrible vis and the Mizpah had 2 knot current so Abernethy passed on those two.

Will try to post photos later.

ZION 6min - YouTube Goliaths on Zion Thursday

This was on a Narcosis trip, another excellent Palm Beach dive boat..one actually fast enough to pull a water skiier, and large enough to carry 28 divers ( but is generally limited to more like 20 or less). Great for me because of my scooter and the room I need for it with camera.

I will be out with Jim Abernethy on Sunday, aboard Shearwater, the awesome Liveaboard Jimmy has...Zion, mg111, and mispah are on tap...

Last edited:
As an FYI, I was out with Jupiter Dive Ctr this morning and the goliaths were thick on the Zion, Miss Jenny and Esso Bonaire. I'd guess 30-40 total on all three wrecks and in the sand to the east and west of each wreck and between the wrecks or over the rubble near the Miss Jenny, though each little 'sub-group' or 'school' had no more than 8 or 10 Grouper. While lying in the sand, at the bow of the Bonaire I had a couple slowly swim right up to me and hover momentarily no more than 2 feet away, I could have patted their backs if I had wanted to. There were also many many jacks chasing bait fish. Great dive!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom