Are there any wildlife that actually want to harm us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we were told the Yellowlined triggerfish were much more aggressive than the Titans (yikes!) but they didn't seem to be a problem-yet.

the species diver americanus Im told is extremely aggressive

Any time on tv that they show divers in the water with sharks, they have chummed the water. This makes me wonder, what would happen if this type of activity stopped? What if while diving, sharks and other dangerous animals were able to approach on their own terms, not in a feeding frenzie? Are there any animals that no matter what we did, if they got near us, they would try to purposely harm us?

You could make the same argument about walking through a gangster neighborhood at night... the folks there are not trying to harm you, they do not even know you... but some of them are probably in bad mood, high on crack or testosterone, very easily provoked, and so, they can be randomly aggressive and unpredictable... probably better to avoid.

Any time on tv that they show divers in the water with sharks, they have chummed the water.

This makes me wonder, what would happen if this type of activity stopped? What if while diving, sharks and other dangerous animals were able to approach on their own terms, not in a feeding frenzie?

Are there any animals that no matter what we did, if they got near us, they would try to purposely harm us?

Why not ask Rodney Temple? Scratch that, ask his dive buddies.

Mostly they mean us no harm, but the idea that they never view us as part of their food chain is demonstrably false and wishful naiveté.

About 10 years ago my wife and I had a bad experience in North-east Brazil with a very aggressive Remora (sucker fish).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...-aggressive-remora-post915606.html#post915606

About 8 years ago my son was head-butted on his thigh by a fairly large Box-fish while on a night dive. The horns went straight through his 5mm of neoprene and left a pair of holes in his leg. Totally unprovoked attack.

Not if you don' harass them. Moray eels are passive, unless you get too close or try and touch them. The same with lion fish, sharks, etc. Never feed anything in the ocean, and your chances of being hurt are greatly reduced.
DivemasterDennis

The only things that have attacked me have been damsel fish which are generally less than 6" long. They will vigorously defend their territory. Every now and then, I will be taking a macro shot and feel a tapping on my arm from an irate damsel.

Back
Top Bottom