Are there idiots on every dive boat?

Are idiots on every boat?

• Yes

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 141 46.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I've been fairly lucky...I have no crazy stories to tell about these idiots who did this or that or almost killed themselves etc.....Luckily, most people I've been around have been good divers who are there just to enjoy themselves don't do anything too ridiculous....of course..now that I've said that... I'll be bombarded by them in the future....lol

Aye and Avast
Dive boat populations are microcosmic
Ok, this talk like a pirate makes it difficult for me to make my point.
I've been on trips with idiots and trips without.
I think the odds of finding a jerk on the boat are the same as finding one in your office, at a sporting event or in any retail establishment.
I think we are more aware on the boats because of the confines and the nature of the tasks at hand.
Most of my experience on cattle boats have been ok. The most negative expriences I have are when I try to tactfully advise people during the SI that they are obliterating living parts of the reef.
"I saw you going for the pic of the eel under the ledge. Could you feel it when your fin was flapping against that brain coral?)
Or " Your son might be over weighted. Maybe ditching some weight might keep his fins from DRAGGING on the reef." This was rich "he used to wear 12 #s on a belt, but he needs 1/3 in the trim pockets of his BC" ( you guessed it, 18= pounds, when dad said he dove with 12#)
Crap, I just realized, I am the idiot on the boat.Arrrrr edit edit edit

Divmstr223:
maybe you can give some examples of what you mean JCDdiver...

There were "AOW" divers that were like elevators. Divers decesending on / bumping into other divers. I was just somewhat surprised.

There's usually someone more idiotic than me on board. If not, I guess it's me

So - is an idiot one who has poor buoyancy?

What makes an idiot?

A roto-tilling clown? Someone who isn't self-sufficient? A lawn dart? A big hoover?

A newbie fits some of this - doesn't make them an idiot... just new.

A know-it-all with excellent skills but a big mouth, I'd consider an idiot. But that's just me.

A photographer who hogs then silts out the best sites - big idiot.

A hunter who guts his "prize' then tosses the remains over the side onto the dive site I'm diving on (the "raining fish parts" scenario)... Idiot.

Skippers who dump the head on the dive site I'm diving on (the "raining toilet paper" scenario)... super idiots.

Divers who can't keep on schedule because they're dense, rude, practice poor dive planning, or don't care. Idiots.

What is a DBI (dive boat idiot?)

---
Ken

JCDdiver:
There were "AOW" divers that were like elevators. Divers decesending on / bumping into other divers. I was just somewhat surprised.

your comment reminded me of something. I was out on the SPECTRE dive boat in Ventura, CA not too long ago. There was a Fireman (we salute you!) there with his buddy. They were on their first OW dive after finishing class. I chatted with them for a bit before the first dive. My group jumped in and we were sitting on the bottom getting our cameras situated when I see this guy coming out of nowhere like missile to the bottom. He was in the sitting postion with his legs straight out and just sinking like and anchor to the bottom...... Right before his tank collided with the top of my buddies head...I caught his tank and moved it over; he just kinda swam away.... Total negligance on his part almost gave my dive partner a bad headache.

I'll give ya one guess as to who this diver was? lol....

During the same dive I caught up with him....his tank had come loose from the strap and was being towed behind him with his hoses...:rofl3: I squared him away.... pretty funny....

I do not consider this guy and idiot as the thread indicates...just a newbie who could perfect his skills a liittle with practice...:wink:

I'm reading this stuff. Why are you all talking about me? No, No I'm not paranoid, you are talking about me! When did you see me do all this stuff. What do those oil rigs have cameras on them? Do the bouy's in the Gulf of Mexico take underwater pictures? Where are the pictures of all my diving mistakes posted on the web? The voices are telling me to hide in a dark closet.......

Mo2vation:
So - is an idiot one who has poor buoyancy?
An AOW with poor bouyancy is in my opinion.

Mo2vation:
What makes an idiot?
Many different things could qualify one for that title.

Mo2vation:
A roto-tilling clown? Someone who isn't self-sufficient? A lawn dart? A big hoover?
Sounds like it.

Mo2vation:
A newbie fits some of this - doesn't make them an idiot... just new.
I'm a newbie so I hope I'm not an idiot.

Mo2vation:
A know-it-all with excellent skills but a big mouth, I'd consider an idiot. But that's just me.
I second that.

Mo2vation:
A photographer who hogs then silts out the best sites - big idiot.
Yup.
Mo2vation:
Divers who can't keep on schedule because they're dense, rude, practice poor dive planning, or don't care. Idiots.
Definately.

Mo2vation:
What is a DBI (dive boat idiot?)
Someone who does a bicycle kick instead of a scissor kick.

JCDdiver:
Someone who does a bicycle kick instead of a scissor kick.

I disagree.
Perhaps someone who does a scissor kick instead of something non-silting such as a frog kick?
*dons protective armor* :D

Also--I don't believe there are idiots on every dive boat. You can usually charter an entire boat to a certain group of people. If I do that, and there are 8 of us on the boat, I'll guarantee that none of them are idiots. :)

Back
Top Bottom