Are women better divers? I think so!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are women better than men at anything? no. then why would diving be any different? hehe. im just kidding...but i do think men are better mainly because i think chicks have the tendency to freak out and arent as touch physically and mentally when it comes to more technical diving...not that there isnt some kick ass women divers out there....im sure there is.

m1diver once bubbled...
...i think chicks have the tendency to freak out and arent as touch physically and mentally when it comes to more technical diving....
I'm sure many people here would disagree with you, including the female tech divers on this board.

ok I have the last word on the subject and that should settle this. I just asked my wife and she confirms that yes women are better divers.

m1diver once bubbled...
i think chicks have the tendency to freak out and arent as touch physically and mentally when it comes to more technical diving...

I think 90% of the women out there will question this. The women I know are FAR tougher than men doing similar things. Guys like to act tough, women ARE tough.

IMHO, of course.

Rachel

Touche Rachael

How about women are more cautious/caring divers and men are more adventurous/daring. It all depends on the circumstance. Sometimes cautious is to much and sometime daring is stupid.

Lets all try to dive smart and safe. What else is there. Choose partners wisely.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

i think many will disagree too, but thats ok. this is just coming from my experience...which isnt even much, ive only been diving a year...im sure there are very good women divers. no harm intended.

MaresMan, you're are generalizing as much as anyone else in this thread (including me) to say that women are caring and cautious and men are adventursome and daring. A good diver (and a good person) has a lovely blend of all of these characteristics.

m1diver, call me in 10 years.

R

biscuit7 once bubbled...

I think 90% of the women out there will question this. The women I know are FAR tougher than men doing similar things. Guys like to act tough, women ARE tough.

IMHO, of course.

Rachel
Anybody that digs holes for a living is tougher than most guys I know......

BTW, what are you guys doing in that picture in your profile Rachel? You an archaeologist?

I can only extrapolate from the database I have acquired. In the early years of my diving there were few women who dove period so most of my buddies were male. Many of these males were ex-military or trained by the same and had a different philosophy from me.

Females entered my picture about 1989. Since then I've been fortunate to dive with some excellent ones including one of the first to dive with the Cousteaus, several Woman's Hall of Famers, and some awesome dive pros. I must admit that this particular experience base is strongly biased sampling.

These factors certainly have "clouded" my judgment and biased me towards female buddies. I have dived with males who are well-suited to my diving patterns and with women who were complete disasters (I had to hold one's hand the entire time... difficult since I was holding my underwater video setup in the other... but not entirely unpleasant since she was a very attractive Japanese woman, sigh.

Purpose for diving, dive planning and air consumption continue as more objective factors in my decision to dive largely with females.

Dr. Bill

Well, I'm a woman, and my two favorite dive buddies were actually a husband/wife team. I liked diving with both of them together, or either of them alone. None of us were competative (which I think makes a worse buddy...diving is NOT a competative sport), all of us liked photography, and all believed in leaving everything under the water just as we found it.

We all also perferred to spend the dive looking a neat fish and coral rather to see how far, how fast, and how deep we could go in one dive, and who would surface on their last breath of air.

I know divers, both men and women, who would be bored silly with all three of us.

And m1diver...CHICKS, CHICKS come on. I've never seen any little fuzzy yellow birds dive...how DO they get into all that gear?

Back
Top Bottom