Are you a scuba nerd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my life I was a foreigner in a strange world. I never seemed to fit in. I was totally misunderstood. Friends came and went. My wife never really understood me. Then I discovered life underwater. It all became clear. I was never intended to walk all my days on dry land but to hover gracefully among the fish and breath deep the oxygen enriched air. life has not been the same since.You decide. Am I a scuba nerd?

Actually, now I feel a little better. Until I started reading this thread, I thought there was something wrong with me. Binders with diving and deco articals? Check. Folders with exotic dive destinations? Check. Studying diagrams trying to figure out how the different wigits fit together? Check. Boring the crap out of my co-workers talking about SCUBA? Check. A couple of bookshelves devoted to books about diving? Check. There is still probably something wrong with me, but at least I'm not alone. :dork2:

Art

I've only scratched the surface of diving and it's going to stay that way. I have a bad habit of getting too interested in subjects. Like old military firearms. I started getting really interested in them in the early 80's, started buying them, got a dealer's license, did some gunsmithing, reloading, etc. Now I have 70 rifles of various types, both modern and military, 19 pistols and rovolvers, a room set aside for reloading, a lathe, two mills, a surface grinder, a hone, sand blaster and all the unnecessary components that go with them. There's about a jillion dollars in metal-working attachments and tools laying idle in a machine room in the barn. (I bought out an old man's machine shop.) The same goes for antique Sunbeam Mixmasters. Got interested in them when my Mom died and I ended up with her old chrome Model 12 from 1957. Like a fool I took it apart to service it. Fascination dropped in, I got on Ebay and bought about twenty of them over time to rebuild. (They were just SOOOO cheap.) Gave them to all my relatives and friiends and still have a dozen of them on a shelf in the barn. Teddy bears. Need I say more? There's about twenty of them in storage containers in a closet. What about spice racks? Uh-huh, the same. All over the walls. Definitely, there will be a large auction one day. I started getting too interested in regs and various other aspects of diving but I stopped myself because I know that one day I'll toss the sport for one reason or the other so I have limited myself to collecting old Dacor regs. I just can't get over the chrome and brass and they are SOOOOO cheap and easy to bring back to life. I need to see a doctor.

I do not consider myself a scuba nerd, though I read a lot about this sport and try to understand why I do the things I've been told to do to dive.
I had an objective, to become an AOWD. Now I am AOWD and I want to dive as much as my limiting factors allows me, money and time (though time is money, so money only).
I had several casual scuba buddies. Many of them I will never dive with again, not because of being casual, but for they dive in a way I don't want to be even near. So, not every diver is a nerd. As in any other activity there are nerds, excellent, very good, good, normal, average and idiot divers.
However, being a nerd does not mean, at least for me, to be an excellent diver.

no, but i'm in love with one, so i understand the sickness...

I do not consider myself a scuba nerd, though I read a lot about this sport and try to understand why I do the things I've been told to do to dive.
I had an objective, to become an AOWD. Now I am AOWD and I want to dive as much as my limiting factors allows me, money and time (though time is money, so money only).
I had several casual scuba buddies. Many of them I will never dive with again, not because of being casual, but for they dive in a way I don't want to be even near. So, not every diver is a nerd. As in any other activity there are nerds, excellent, very good, good, normal, average and idiot divers.
However, being a nerd does not mean, at least for me, to be an excellent diver.

emoreira, it sounds to me like you are on the right path for a quest to becoming a great diver and dive buddy! Kudos from me for all it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom