Are you a Sweet or Sour Diver?

How do you greet other divers? (Multi-answer)

• Friendly Wave

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Some form of a Salute

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Just a Nod

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I tend to just keep swimming/hovering.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a simple 'OK' sign.
OKfingers.gif

I'm a very friendly and sociable person, but under water, three is a crowd. Sometimes, when I'm diving solo, two is a crowd. As much as I love every diver who shares my passion, as soon as we sink below the surface, I don't want to see anyone, especially when I'm taking pictures. Other divers in the vicinity to me only means less marine life to look at. I ignore them and make an effort to get out of the area as quickly as I can.
^
This! I dive to study marine life and hopefully get a decent picture to share. I talk to the other divers when we're back in the parking lot.

I usually see the bubbles before I see the people, then alter course to try to avoid the divers. My time underwater is MY time. I put up with as few buddies as I have to.

I normally resort to just OK sign and maybe a slight nod. I am always conscious of how my signs could be perceived by others while underwater.

I agree with this. The situation doesn't seem to happen much for me anyway. If I'm on a charter somewhere I've probably have met the others on board, so why wave underwater?--and what are the chances of running into someone that isn't from your boat? Yes, people could misinterpret any signal. Also, I have found that divers from the same boat other than my buddy don't seem to acknowledge us either. If it's our boat here I probably know the divers. Also, where I live and shore dive in the boonies it's usually just me and maybe a buddy. I guess you could run into unknown folks on a very popular tropical reef somewhere.

I wave if it is a good dive I am usually smiling so hard I wave at anything that moves, I smile at the fish. :D

If it's people I know, I give a little wave of my hand. If I don't know them, I generally just look at them carefully to make sure everything appears okay, and go on my way.

I'm a very friendly and sociable person, but under water, three is a crowd. Sometimes, when I'm diving solo, two is a crowd. [-]As much as I love every diver who shares my passion[/-], as soon as we sink below the surface, I don't want to see anyone, especially when I'm taking pictures. Other divers in the vicinity to me only means less marine life to look at. I ignore them and make an effort to get out of the area as quickly as I can.
My sentiments (almost) exactly. :D

Back
Top Bottom