Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In some of the places where I go beach diving, snorkels are required by law. And I have seen life guards had out tickets for no snorkel. So yeah, I wear a snorkel.

I do all beach diving, and I wear my snorkel all of the time, except if it is very flat, then I will not.
Which is why I voted sometimes

Lately, I have not been donning my mask until we're at the drop zone :p so why would I need my snorkel?

I view it as a piece of safety equipment and wear it for all ocean dives. IMHO, a worse case senario is a catastrophic air loss with sudden current. I have never had the air loss but dove French Reef (KL) once where the current went from 0 to 60 in a matter of minutes. It is either on my mask or in a tank bungee.

I carry one. it's in my pocket or in the dive bag if diving local. Underwater a snorkel is pretty useless and an entanglement hazard. Wasted money on a fanct dry snorkel early on cause the instructor suggested it. I tell my students to get the cheapest one they can. Preferably one that rolls or folds and can be taken off quickly.

With long hose, snorkel is a no go because it interfere with air donation. I haven't carried one for a long time even before I switch to long hose. I agree with the cheapest snorkel if you have to have one. Those fancy $50 snorkel is such a waste of money

I always have mine with me, typically in my BC pocket. Depending on the dive site, I might wear it, but not too often. Like others have mentioned, we do more shore dives where we might need to swim a bit to our dive site and don't want to burn the gas before the dive even starts.

You see I learned a long time ago that if you have a non-plastic snorkel w/o the special purge valves and do-hickeys
AND if you place the snorkel further back along your mask strap
AND if you use a silicone snorkel keeper
IE basically going back to the old school days of snorkel wear

THEN wearing a snorkel is actually not a hassle and becomes very comfortable. I don't notice it at all.

However there are certain situations where I would ditch a snorkel. Those would be due to gear configurations, in high current, confined environments, or in areas where a surface swim in ocean conditions would be non-existent.
Haven't met any of those situations yet though

I view it as a piece of safety equipment and wear it for all ocean dives. IMHO, a worse case senario is a catastrophic air loss with sudden current. I have never had the air loss but dove French Reef (KL) once where the current went from 0 to 60 in a matter of minutes. It is either on my mask or in a tank bungee.

Not sure I understand this one. How does a snorkel help in an air loss with current?

Personally I leave mine unless I expect to be able to use it on a swim out or back (for example: shore diving in Curacao)

In some of the places where I go beach diving, snorkels are required by law. And I have seen life guards had out tickets for no snorkel. So yeah, I wear a snorkel.

Beaches in SoCal? Where are snorkels required? I could find almost nothing in terms of scuba diving regulations in San Diego.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom