Argon Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GForceV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading as much as I could find (which wasn't much) I have a quick question regarding argon regs. first of all no, I haven't taken trimix or asked my instructor but I'm planning to in the future and just wonder what peoples opinions are... If someone is using argon in very cold water such as ice diving, wouldn't that person want a first stage that is designed for cold water? Seems that all argon reg suggestions tend to be for very simple, cheap regs, which I understand would work for all the divers who use drysuits in water warmer than a certain temperature, but for really cold water wouldn't you want a first stage designed for it? Just curious?

maybe a low cost but environmentally sealed first stage is what people are meaning. My first reg I used for over 10 years which was not environmentally sealed worked fine for 10 years without an issue. The coldest water it was in was 44F.

After reading as much as I could find (which wasn't much) I have a quick question regarding argon regs. first of all no, I haven't taken trimix or asked my instructor but I'm planning to in the future and just wonder what peoples opinions are... If someone is using argon in very cold water such as ice diving, wouldn't that person want a first stage that is designed for cold water? Seems that all argon reg suggestions tend to be for very simple, cheap regs, which I understand would work for all the divers who use drysuits in water warmer than a certain temperature, but for really cold water wouldn't you want a first stage designed for it? Just curious?

Many people use regular air in a separate 6cf bottle, that allows you to regulate the air flow to the inflator and you can quick;y shutdown the bottle if needed, say your inflator froze , not loosing your left post. I can stay for 70-80 mins in 36F (2C) water using air. Some people prefer to use Argon but I never felt the real need for my type of diving

The sealing for the reg is not very important as the air flow through the reg is minuscule (unlike the air flow though the breathing regulator) and it does not freeze. You add air in short bursts so the reg has a lot of time to warm up. I use Salvo not sealed reg on the drysuit even for ice diving and never had any single freeze up. All you have to watch for is not to inflate the suit until the reg is submerged if the air temperature is below freezing and while inflating the suit go in short bursts giving some time for the reg to warm up.

I agree with elan -- the flow through the reg is low, and the valve is easily reached to turn the argon off in the event of an uncontrolled flow.

Makes a lot of sense. I am planning on doing my trimix training this winter and I have a couple cheap first stages laying around. I've done a fair amount of ice diving already and was curious whether or not I would need to make further investments eventually or if I am already in good enough shape. Thanks to those who responded! Sounds like it won't be a problem...

I was using a super cheap 1st stage up until recently in temps down to the low-40's without problems. I'm ugrading now because the reg is out of spec and they can no longer get parts for it. I've replaced it with another low-end (non-cold water) reg, the SB MK2. I'm using this with a back-mounted 14 cu. ft. LP Argon tank.

My reasons for not buying a high-end cold-water reg for argon use is:
  1. it's not a life-critical piece of equipment
  2. If the reg sticks closed I can always use my BC for inflation
  3. I couldn't afford it

Back
Top Bottom