Argon setups -- SPG or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the little button gauges, but really you don't need one. They are almost impossible to read anyway.

I get 4 rec dives out of 6 cf. I refill before every tech dive.

I use the 6cf bottle and don't use a gauge, I do usually bring a spare bottle though.

onfloat:
nope, it's not needed. If you put an SPG on the bottle how are you going to look at it? Most diver's bottle will last 3 or 4 dives.

Agreed -- and what are you going to do if you *could* look at it that you wont get by noticing inflation is not working and scarfing some from a buddy?

a 6cf bottle lasts me 5-6 recreational dives, and I would say probably 2-3 tech dives.
May be a bit less in PNW with thick undergarments etc.

Get the salvo Argon first stage with OPV -- about $65. If it stops working, throw away and get a new one.

Rig it like AG does (bungee on bottom hole of plate and I use a single halcyon strap toward top of bottle). Get the 1st stage down as close to the bottom of the tanks as possible.

gcbryan:
I'm curious as to what most people do for backup? If you run out of Argon mid-dive do you just deal with the squeeze or do you carry a backup hose attached to your back gas?

Also, I take it that you are saying that the difference is noticable even when not using a helium based mix?

if it is open water, you can ascend.
you can also take some from your buddy.
or from backgas (if backgas has he then you have to judge if you can continue to live with the squeeze -- remember squeeze only occurs if you have to descend so if you are not in a cave/wreck, you should be OK)

limeyx:
Get the salvo Argon first stage with OPV -- about $65. If it stops working, throw away and get a new one.

It's not necessary to throw the thing away. There are basically two o-rings in the entire regulator (which is made by a third party, and sold by myself, Salvo, DIR Zone, and a number of other companies). One could easily replace those two o-rings. There is only one moving part in the entire thing, and it's made of metal, so the odds of the regulator becoming unusable are pretty slim.

Here is a gallery of pictures demonstrating how to attach an argon regulator to your backplate....Keep in mind that the webbing should go on the bottom hole of the plate, not the middle (which I have pictures of, since I tried it both ways).

http://www.soggydiving.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=27
normal_IMG_0199.JPG

Interesting, Soggy -- What's the reason for putting the bottle so low? We had mine rigged up this weekend with the reg about even with the bottom of the plate, and with the exception of getting the waist strap caught on it when I was gearing up, it didn't seem to cause any problems.

TSandM:
Interesting, Soggy -- What's the reason for putting the bottle so low? We had mine rigged up this weekend with the reg about even with the bottom of the plate, and with the exception of getting the waist strap caught on it when I was gearing up, it didn't seem to cause any problems.

I like my harness pretty tight and I had a hard time getting in and out of it when it was up higher. I also had a harder time reaching the valve, and it was always digging into my side. It's just my preference. If it is comfortable for you, and you can reach everything, I don't see any problem with having it in the middle.

Well, I got to find out whether I could reach my valve on my first descent. At 40 feet, we simultaneously realized that my spool had come out of my pocket and unravelled all over Bob's dive buddy (who was descending above me), that Doug's wing inflator hose had popped off, and that I was having my first OOA emergency -- Out of argon, that is. So, while Bob corralled the errant spool, I sat on the upline and turned my argon bottle on. Good to learn that I could do it without any difficulty!

TSandM:
I was having my first OOA emergency -- Out of argon, that is.

Wait until you are on your last dive of a great trip (Empress of Ireland in my case) and have planned to drop down to 120' and spend 30 mins there and you run out of argon at 80'. Then you get to practice the "disconnect my wing inflator and plug it into the drysuit to get that last few feet of depth" drill. :)

Helium doesn't feel good coming into a drysuit, let me tell you....

Back
Top Bottom