Argon setups -- SPG or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
Honestly, the only time I need to check mine is before I get on a boat/drive to the dive site, for which I use either a left post reg or a stage reg.

i found that using a backgas/stage SPG was annoying enough that i wouldn't check. having a button gauge makes it easy to check. the additional failure point can also only result in an OOAr which isn't going to be problematic for any diving that i'm going to be doing in the near future (needing to drop from 30 fsw to 250 fsw to exit a cave is not in any dive plan i've got for the next few years at least).

mattwave:
I second that, who thought it was for checking during the dive, come on people.

Dude, I have my buddies squinting at that little thing all the time, I don't know what you are talking about. I also perform OOAr (out of argon) drills regularly, where I shiver uncontrollably and then rip my buddy's inflator hose off their chest--unfortunately, I often take the inflator valve with it. I need to get a bit less aggressive (but I have a great collection of slightly used inflator valves if anyone needs one). If you aren't practicing this stuff regularly, well, then, I think you are going to die of hypothermia.

Forget monitoring your buddy's breathing gas supply, that was so 2006. Monitoring your buddy's argon supply is where it is at now.

That being said, I'm running out of people to dive with, they all get angry about the holes in their drysuits left from my OOAr drills. So, since I am forced to become a solo argon-using diver, I'm thinking of getting that new wireless argon gauge setup, it will calculate your consumption rate, transmit your argon status to two different computers at once, and has various levels of conservatism built into it. It also will translate five different languages, has instant messaging and comes in five different, strokalicious, colors. My only concern is that it seems easily bendable, and I don't want it to lock me out on multiple dive days . . .

lamont:
i found that using a backgas/stage SPG was annoying enough that i wouldn't check. having a button gauge makes it easy to check. the additional failure point can also only result in an OOAr which isn't going to be problematic for any diving that i'm going to be doing in the near future (needing to drop from 30 fsw to 250 fsw to exit a cave is not in any dive plan i've got for the next few years at least).

[tongue in cheek]
Stephen Colbert says, "Today's word is 'Stroke'"
[/tongue in cheek]

If it get a vote, I am for the 6Cuft bottle with the salvo rig. Mine just has the OPV and the inflation hose. (no spg) An OPV is critical to have though, don't want that IP creeping up on you. If I really want to know how much gas I still have in the bottle, I can just hook up my left post reg to it to see what the pressure is.

I just tuck the original inflator hose behind the wing, so in an OoAr emergency I could reach back and use it. You'll find that where your wings dump valve is located has an influnence on where you rig the bottle. Mine is rigged a bit low so as to keep the valve handle from interfearing with reaching the dumpvalve.

Argon bottles make handy fin holders. Just thread the fin straps through the inflator hose and then reconnect it to the drysuit. Just remember to connect it back up after donning the fins. Had a dive where I forgot to do so, and hit my inflator to offset the sqeeze and got a nasty cool sensation on my chest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom