Argon setups -- SPG or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
Running out mid-dive sucks...
It only sucks if it happens while you are descending :wink:

(and put me on the list of not having an SPG)

But TSandM...if you are not diving helium, then why go for an argon bottle at all? I never use an argon bottle if I am diving nitrox. More of a PITA IMO.

Well, Jeff, I had been very dubious about it, because the numbers weren't all that impressive. But this last weekend, I had six dives -- two on argon, two on airgon, and two on air -- which, at least by SAC rate, had similar levels of exertion, were carried out in the same exposure protection, in the same water temperature, and my comfort level as far as warmth went was strikingly different as the weekend went on. I went from a happy camper on the first day to freezing my butt off on the third, and I can't lay that all to just being tired, and certainly not to being progressively chilled as the weekend went on. So that made a believer of me, especially in view of the fact that cold ends most of my dives (rather than gas or deco limits).

Lynne, Joel at Techdivinglimited is selling a complete set up (with a DIN reg, not the goofy screw into the bottle with no valve one) including SPG, hose, DSS "hose hat", and OPV for around $135 and if you catch it before it ends today, a further "white sale" discount.

I bought a used MR12 1st stage ($50) and a used button SPG ($30) and stole my wife's 6ft bottle that she used to use as a shallow pony ($0). Grand total for my kit. $80 - that is if you do not count the $125 for the new 30cuft bottle I had to buy her in return :D.

That said you might do your test in reverse - start off with air and go to argon and see what that does. And as Doc said - I also check the guage between dives and not during.

JeffG:
if you are not diving helium, then why go for an argon bottle at all?
Never let science stand in the way of gearlust. . . :D

xiSkiGuy:
Never let science stand in the way of gearlust. . . :D
I know it has never stopped me. :wink:

Doc Intrepid:
:D

thats why I have an Oceanic button gauge on my argon reg.

I don't check it during dives.

I check it in between dives to ensure there is enough argon that I don't have to switch out bottles!

i added a button SPG gauge as well.

added it after finding my argon bottle empty before a dive and having to borrow a pony bottle full of air off someone...

You may be shameless, but a very quick shipper.

Soggy:
No need for an SPG. Check it before you dive. I can get 2-3 recreational dives off of a full fill, sometimes more.

[shameless plug]
If you need an argon reg, check out my website. I think you'll find that they look remarkably similar to the one sold by Salvo :)
[/shameless plug]

Doc Intrepid:
:D

thats why I have an Oceanic button gauge on my argon reg.

I don't check it during dives.

I check it in between dives to ensure there is enough argon that I don't have to switch out bottles!

I second that, who thought it was for checking during the dive, come on people.

mattwave:
I second that, who thought it was for checking during the dive, come on people.

Honestly, the only time I need to check mine is before I get on a boat/drive to the dive site, for which I use either a left post reg or a stage reg.

After a while, you get to know how many dives you can get from a fill (since that is essentially directly related to the depth of the dive).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom