Ascending and Descending in Horizontal Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great article, Don....thanks for posting! I sure wish there had been something like this when I started diving....I was so confused about how it would be possible to ascend horizontally as I was under the impression that you had to dump all the air from your BC and swim to the surface (poor OW class...).

Your articles will be very very helpful to new divers. I hope people refer others to them when questions come up. Thanks for taking the time!

Good read-----another ''advantage' to horizontal As&Ds, less hemorrhoidal trouble over the long haul..:)

Thank you for this very interesting article. I intend to give this a try on my next few dives, and see how it works for me.
Learning every dive :)
- Mortis

Marc, as for the graphics, I made them in Photoshop. I'm not a professional, but if you have an idea for something, drop me a line.

lol, nope. I think your graphics are great. Mine would have been in MS Paint :D

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to write the article. Nicely done!

Best wishes.

Thanks everyone for reading, and the comments and questions. As people practice, if there are questions, please ask away!

Kristina, I answered your question on my site as well.

It's convenient to use the back dump during ascents in the horizontal position, and it's even better if you have to kick down at the same time. However, you can use the inflator hose as well. The most critical aspect is insuring that whichever dump you use, it's at the highest point. This may require a little roll or tilt to accomplish, but it shouldn't be dramatic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom