Ascending to the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the instructions are very clear: do not ascend directly to the surface and respect the deco stop(s) shown by your computer.
I would understand it now.

I found it incredibly confusing when I was a new diver, because my open water class didn’t brief us on anything except don’t go past the NDL: they didn’t explain what would happen if you go in accidental deco.

Most manuals just display screens after screens explaining each screen rather than walking you in the chronological order of a dive.

I found it incredibly confusing when I was a new diver, because my open water class didn’t brief us on anything except don’t go past the NDL: they didn’t explain what would happen if you go in accidental deco.

Most manuals just display screens after screens explaining each screen rather than walking you in the chronological order of a dive.
Ah, you mean the computer manual...
Yes, they are often very bad.
As for most electronic devices, indeed.
My opinion is that a good device nowadays must be designed with a friendly user's interface, requiring no manual to be used. If you need to read the manual, it is a poorly designed device.

I was referring to the diving manual. They are quite clear defining the deco stop procedure, even if an OW diver should not do dives requiring mandatory deco stops...
But, as **** happens, it is important that even an OW diver knows the procedure to be followed when, for any reasons, the NDL is exceeded.

Ah, you mean the computer manual...
Yes, they are often very bad.
As for most electronic devices, indeed.
My opinion is that a good device nowadays must be designed with a friendly user's interface, requiring no manual to be used. If you need to read the manual, it is a poorly designed device.

I was referring to the diving manual. They are quite clear defining the deco stop procedure, even if an OW diver should not do dives requiring mandatory deco stops...
But, as **** happens, it is important that even an OW diver knows the procedure to be followed when, for any reasons, the NDL is exceeded.
Ah sorry for the confusion, totally agree on all points.

but: It is good practice to do a 3 min safety stop at 15ft before surfacing. This allows you to check for passing boats before surfacing.

Very good point about using the stop at 15 ft. to check for passing boats.

And why not? Otherwise you're spending all that time doing nothing. The online course didn't suggest that while doing the stop at 15 ft., at least not yet. I'm around halfway through the course.

DogDiver ,

Awesome name. I wish I would've thought of that.

Maybe I should try BoxerDogDiver or something like that.

Very good point about using the stop at 15 ft. to check for passing boats.

And why not? Otherwise you're spending all that time doing nothing.

Deploy your tethered SMB without losing buoyancy or strangling yourself. Truly a great skill to master perfectly- you’ll need it “later”!

And as to the OP thread title, “Ascending to the Surface”? vs Descending to it? :wink: 🤣

And as to the OP thread title, “Ascending to the Surface”? vs Descending to it? :wink: 🤣
My thought on seeing the title was, "Yes. Highly recommended."

Reactions: Doc

Hmm, how strange. Addressing accidental deco is a standard in the PADI OW course. I can't speak for others though.

The manual of my Suunto computer explains the "accidental" deco scenario very well and in very simple terms. Can't speak for others.

Hmm, how strange. Addressing accidental deco is a standard in the PADI OW course. I can't speak for others though.

The manual of my Suunto computer explains the "accidental" deco scenario very well and in very simple terms. Can't speak for others.
You probably had a good OW.

Mine was kneeling on platform repeating skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom