Ascending to the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You probably had a good OW.

Mine was kneeling on platform repeating skills.
I don't think doing the ascent theory section neutrally bouyant would offer any advantage.

I don't think doing the ascent theory section neutrally bouyant would offer any advantage.
You mean in regards to this topic? My OW and AOW were pretty bad in retrospect, they were done by shops just trying to mass certify people in the shortest amount of time.

It was in response to the previous person who said that it should have been covered in OW if the shop had followed the curriculum.

Very good point about using the stop at 15 ft. to check for passing boats.

And why not? Otherwise you're spending all that time doing nothing. The online course didn't suggest that while doing the stop at 15 ft., at least not yet. I'm around halfway through the course.

The 3 minute stop is for degassing adding a extra margin of safety. It has nothing to do with checking for a boat or it would be a stop look up then ascend instead of a stop wait 3 minutes then look up and ascend while continuing to look up.

The stop is recommended, not required. Actual deco stops are required.

You probably had a good OW.

Mine was kneeling on platform repeating skills.
I feel like every class should teach neutral from the start, since your basic skills and foundation are cemented from OW class. it makes it way harder to correct once you have the muscle memory of a certain technique, only to have to switch to the complete opposite.
especially for divers who want to further their training, having really good buoyancy and trim are pretty much essential. start them out strong and prepare for success.
I saw your other comment too about the place basically pushing certs. recipe for disaster imo and only doing everyone a disservice

The 3 minute stop is for degassing adding a extra margin of safety. It has nothing to do with checking for a boat or it would be a stop look up then ascend instead of a stop wait 3 minutes then look up and ascend while continuing to look up.

The stop is recommended, not required. Actual deco stops are required.
yep. and if you're in water with horrible visibility, chances are you wouldn't really be able to see the surface from 15 ft if vis is 5. personally I like them to fine tune buoyancy, or if I were to get close to the NDL line to lessen deco stress.

The stop is recommended, not required.
It depends on the dive operator. Some now say the safety stop is required after every dive..."you may not need it, but it won't hurt."

My druthers is for every OW class to teach a diver to be able to complete a dive safely even if his/her BC quits working during the dive.

rx7diver
I’m not sure how you’d do that- if I was taught in OW, I’m a failure🤣- I’d assume it’d have to do with managing your weight and stuff? I’m really curious how to do that

I had my BC inflator fail open on a dive, made that dive interesting to say the least.

I’m not sure how you’d do that- if I was taught in OW, I’m a failure🤣- I’d assume it’d have to do with managing your weight and stuff? I’m really curious how to do that
@kaylee_ann,

I stopped short of writing, instead, "My druthers is for every OW class to return to teaching a diver to be able to dive safely sans BC"--which is closer to how I really feel about this, at this time, honestly.

I went diving sans BC in open water (well, in my shallow, neighborhood quarry) for the first time ever when I took my new-to-me double-hose regulator on an inaugural dive in 2015. This experience blew my mind! So incredibly liberating!

The old-timers among us did this sans-BC diving as a matter of routine.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom