Ask A Firefighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

venturediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
I figured that since the " Ask A Cop" thread was going so well, I would start an "Ask A Firefighter" thread.
Up until this year, I have spent the past 13 years in the fire/rescue/ems world. I'm certified as an emergency medical technician, firefighter, fire instructor, hazardous materials technician, rescue diver, and rescue technician. I also used to be the training officer for my department. I have worked on the fire engine, rescue truck, and ambulance. So, if you have any questions, ask away.

Disclaimer: If you are asking a medical question, my answer is in no way meant to diagnose or treat any condition. It is my recommendation that you contact your physician for any condition of concern. This is for fun and perhaps a little useless knowledge. So ask away.

I have a question for which I can't figure out whom to address it to. Perhaps you might know the answer. It goes like this:

Can those lifejackets that get served to passengers during emergencies in airliners be inflated underwater?

Sorry, might not be a proper firefighter-related question, but it's a trivia I was always curious about and never could find the answer. :D

It will be interesting to see what questions will be asked :confused: :D :D
Ray

Which will be the last department to figure out that safety yellow/green makes for the uglyest possable engines?

mislav:
I have a question for which I can't figure out whom to address it to. Perhaps you might know the answer. It goes like this:

Can those lifejackets that get served to passengers during emergencies in airliners be inflated underwater?

Sorry, might not be a proper firefighter-related question, but it's a trivia I was always curious about and never could find the answer. :D

Those life jackets have a manual inflation valve, so technically you could inflate them underwater just like you do a safety sausage.

Wildcard:
Which will be the last department to figure out that safety yellow/green makes for the uglyest possable engines?

Thats a good question. Slime lime definitely makes for an ugly fire truck. Ours are white.

tnfireman:
It will be interesting to see what questions will be asked :confused: :D :D
Ray

No doubt. Maybe you can help with the answers though.

venturediver:
Hi All,
I figured that since the " Ask A Cop" thread was going so well, I would start an "Ask A Firefighter" thread.
Up until this year, I have spent the past 13 years in the fire/rescue/ems world. I'm certified as an emergency medical technician, firefighter, fire instructor, hazardous materials technician, rescue diver, and rescue technician. I also used to be the training officer for my department. I have worked on the fire engine, rescue truck, and ambulance. So, if you have any questions, ask away.

I noticed that you were from Alabama....

1.) I was surprised to learn several years ago that in Alabama, fire fighters are not required by law to have a CDL to drive a fire truck.

That was surprising since some of them are the size of tractor trailers for ladder trucks and weigh more than 25,000 pounds as the set requirement by DOT for having a CDL.

is this correct?

2.) What PSI do they pump those fiber wrapped SCBA tanks up to?

3.) How long do those SCBA tanks last? (minutes duration)

4.) What PSI and GPM does that water come out of an average fire hose?

mike_s:

1.) I was surprised to learn several years ago that in Alabama, fire fighters are not required by law to have a CDL to drive a fire truck.

That was surprising since some of them are the size of tractor trailers for ladder trucks and weigh more than 25,000 pounds as the set requirement by DOT for having a CDL.

is this correct?

I hope venturediver will add or correct anything that might be diff. in Alabama.
1.In TN you do not have to have a CDL,But it is required that you pass a driving test at the department level.
2.The SCBA tanks are rated at either 2216 psi or 4500psi (2216 are the most common around here)
3.It all depends on the person,there are ways to make a tank last a really long time,such as "skip breathing" I have made a tank last well over a hour during training, I have also drained a tank in 20min or so.
4.On a 1.5in hose we usually start out at 80 to 100 psi and 60 gpm(100ft of hose) the more hose that you are pumping through the more pressure you need to get the psi at the nozzle.Our FD does not any firehydrants in our district so we have to bring our water with us.Otherwize we could flow up to 1500gpm with our engine.

mike_s:

is this correct?

We do not have to have a CDL, but we have to pass an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Certification) and be at least 21 to drive.

Our SCBA's are pumped to 2216. We use the MSA Firehawk 2 with aluminum bottles. However, a 60 minute bottle is pumped to 4500 PSI.

The rule of thumb for air consumption while wearing an SCBA is 100 pounds per minute or a half hour. It depends on the wearer though.

We usually flow our attack hoses at 150 psi. with a rate of 95 gpm. at the nozzle.

Our trucks are rated to pump 1000 gallons a minute. Our engines have 1000 gallon composite tanks.

Back
Top Bottom