Question Assistance in identifying this Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zuluXtreme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Please could assistance be provided in identifying this compressor? I've literally scoured Google (Images) but to no avail.

The idea is to replace all the filters and possibly convert the compressor to a 'Hookah/Snuba' set-up.

Looks to be a Mako pump. One of the pics doesn’t match. Did you start painting already?

Here’s the deal - surface supplied air is less than 200psi. This pump is set up to supply 3000psi+. You will be money ahead and safer getting the correct oilless low pressure pump and not messing with this one. If the Mako needs any repair parts, you will quickly exceed the cost of a low pressure setup. Memory is there are inexpensive choices for low pressure and even some comparisons on scubaboard.

Sell the parts from that one to cover part of your investment. For example, I might be interested in the yellow or blue filter housing.

The OP is in South Africa. Shipping might be…interesting.

Looks to be a Mako pump. One of the pics doesn’t match. Did you start painting already?

Here’s the deal - surface supplied air is less than 200psi. This pump is set up to supply 3000psi+. You will be money ahead and safer getting the correct oilless low pressure pump and not messing with this one. If the Mako needs any repair parts, you will quickly exceed the cost of a low pressure setup. Memory is there are inexpensive choices for low pressure and even some comparisons on scubaboard.

Sell the parts from that one to cover part of your investment. For example, I might be interested in the yellow or blue filter housing.
...thank you for that - Yup, it's something I've also been thinking about.

Refurbishment has started, but I'm at a cross roads now. It's going to mean a reservoir with a 'step-down' in pressure, new filters and lots of customizing = Money!!!

...thank you, it's a MAKO, I just can't find my model?

...the design of the cowling is exact and layout of the parts.

You will be money ahead and safer getting the correct oilless low pressure pump and not messing with this one.

Considering everything ...we are thinking of cylinders on the dry and long hoses supplying air? ...the idea of small air pumps on flotation is intriguing.

Hi
Its a BAUER UTILUS germany
you will find all manuals on bauer de site
Think mako was the importer for bauer units in usa.
looks to be around 1978 build date
Delivery output 100Lts/Min
...the plot thickens!!!

...so it's definitely a Bauer, and the block is a Purus.

...an email comment I received - "Its fitted with a British manufactured Hamworthy tower filtration system which has a manufacturers maximum approved 15 year life cycle, I would definitely caution against pressuring that tower".

Hi
Sorry i got it wrong
Yes its a purus about 1978 75Lts/Min model P2B 225 bar or P2BH 300 bar
From all the photos i can not see any of a hamworthy filter system
It look as if you have 3 compressors
1 with honda engine
1 with old briggs engine
1 on ac motor [is it 3 phase or 1 phase ?]

The drive belt from crank shaft to cooling fan is
VB section 8X5X280Li

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back