Asthma anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paddles

Reaction score
Was just certified last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed myself! The only real concern I had was wondering if my asthma would kick in. I don't have exercise enduced asthma, (Yes, had a complete physical and doc said no prob), but sometimes, under extreme stress, it'll kick in.

Just wondering if any other divers out there can share their experiences...

Also, is there anything I can do to promote better lung health? Dos and don'ts?

Paddles:
Was just certified last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed myself! The only real concern I had was wondering if my asthma would kick in. I don't have exercise enduced asthma, (Yes, had a complete physical and doc said no prob), but sometimes, under extreme stress, it'll kick in.

Just wondering if any other divers out there can share their experiences...

Also, is there anything I can do to promote better lung health? Dos and don'ts?

Welcome aboard Paddles!!!

If you take a look in the "Diving Medicine" section (run a search), you will find a wealth of info on the topic. I just recently researched this in regards to a nephew that I want to help to get certified.

Or you can ask a moderator to move this to the "Diving Medicine" section so that you recieve more responses.

Take care,

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff...Was just checking in and I noticed my post was moved...can't tell where to though...

I did a search on asthma and yes, found lots of posts! Thank you!

See ya underwater!

Hey Paddles - I have asthma as well--asthma which, due to my meds, is 100% under control. So that would be my question to you: how well do you know your disease? For me, if I was how I used to be, I'm not 100% certain diving would be something I'd risk. How are you in otherwise stressful situations?

I also have asthma, not as bad now as when I was a kid, no problems here, but totally agree with the eggman, you should know your limits.

Same here, know what you can and can not do. My asthma is pretty much allergy related and under control. If I would ever have trouble, due to my allergies, I would call the dive. Also, although I have never needed my spray, I make sure my buddy knows where it is and how to use it.
aloha,
Lisa

I've only had asthma for about 10 years and I had to use my inhaler alot, especially during the allergy season...then I switched docs...the old one wasn't helping me prevent, just bandaging the symptoms...

So now with my new meds, its 100% under control...haven't had to use an inhaler in months, even with allergy season in full swing. I actually didn't think about it until I met a diver who starting telling horror stories...ahhh!

I'm not worried, my doc isn't worried...and the cold water doesn't bother me either...the one thing that will set it off is strong perfumes and I haven't come across any of those underwater

I definitely know my limits...in and out of the water. As far as other stressful situations, like having to deal with my ex, I find that if I throw things, especially at him, I'm fine! No problem! Kidding!

Thanks guys! :wink:

You will hear many horror stories about the "potential" problems, just make sure you get well informed advice and be aware that many dive professionals still see this as an absolute contraindication for diving and will give you a zero tolerance NO.

If you read up on it you will find that although there is a great theoretical threat, there is no statistical evidence that Asthmatics have more pulmonary barotraumas than other divers. Just be aware of the risks and be prepared to accept them.

Not sure that "there is no statistical evidence that Asthmatics have more pulmonary barotraumas than other divers" is exactly correct. See the following from Sports Med 2003;33(2):109-16:

"Asthma and Recreational SCUBA Diving : A Systematic Review.

Koehle M, Lloyd-Smith R, McKenzie D, Taunton J.

Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Centre, Department of Family Practice and the School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Asthma has traditionally been a contraindication to recreational self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) diving, although large numbers of patients with asthma partake in diving. The purpose of this paper is to review all the research relevant to the issue of the safety of asthma in divers.MEDLINE and MDConsult were searched for papers between 1980-2002. Keywords used for the search were 'asthma', 'SCUBA' and 'diving'. Additional references were reviewed from the bibliographies of received articles.A total of fifteen studies were identified as relevant to the area. These included three surveys of divers with asthma, four case series and eight mechanistic investigations of the effect of diving on pulmonary function. The survey data showed a high prevalence of asthma among recreational SCUBA divers, similar to the prevalence of asthma among the general population. There was some weak evidence for an increase in rates of decompression illness among divers with asthma. In healthy participants, wet hyperbaric chamber and open-water diving led to a decrease in forced vital capacity, forced expired volume over 1.0 second and mid-expiratory flow rates. In participants with asymptomatic respiratory atopy, diving caused a decrease in airway conductivity.There is some indication that asthmatics may be at increased risk of pulmonary barotrauma, but more research is necessary. Decisions regarding diving participation among asthmatics must be made on an individual basis involving the patient through informed, shared decision making."

Seems that meta-analysis suggests that you may be at some slight level of increased risk of DCS & pulmonary barotrauma, but not compelling to date.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom