asthma-how likely am I to get a Doctors ok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been a report of pulmonary barotrauma from as shallow as 4 feet. And if one is symptomatic with asthma, one doesn't know whether there are any small airways which are all but blocked.

Can I say the OP WILL have a problem if he dives? No, and that's why I recommended the PFTs. But I had an experience with a student who had much milder asthma than reported, and when his PFTs were reviewed by the folks at Duke, he was advised not to dive.

All diving involves risk assessment, but some risks are higher than others.

Mark, I would have to say that depends entirely on the conditions where you are diving. I have a heart rate monitor that my dive computer tracks. I was looking at the graphs of some of my dives in Cozumel the past few weeks when we had some of those crazy currents. My normal heart rate is in the 85 bpm range on more routine dives but it was running at about 160 many times throughout those dives last month and hitting 200 bpm a few times. I also got some "increased workload" warnings. I'm no doctor, but I think that might be problematic for certain asthmatics.

IOW, scuba isn't an intensive sport, so you should not have increased heart rate & breathing.

First of all the usual disclaimer that I'm not a medical professional in real life, on the internet or even on ScubaBoard.

Second, Be sure that the medical people you are working with are dive savvy. Contacting DAN can get you in front of the right people.

The extent to which your function is compromised from smoking is not something I can or will speak to except to congratulate you on quitting an absurdly stupid habit.

As for the asthma my experience has been that it is very trigger based. If your triggers were cold or exertion that I would suggest moving on to another sport immediately. Where you understand your issues to be allergies, especially from your home you may be in luck. Personally stirring up household dust brings on severe wheezing as I am allergic to dust mites. Similarly my wife suffers from a potpourri of topside allergies and is a regular Albuteral user. She keeps things in check and takes a dose on the way to the dive site so she goes in clean. She has had no difficulty whatsoever in cold water diving. The point is that dive air is exquisitely clean and can be a delightful respite from topside allergens.

The key take-away is to be evaluated by someone that really understands what the risks and triggers are in scuba diving. This thread should help you ask the right questions of the right resources.

Pete

With safety in mind (and well, it should be), I would think seeing a doctor would be first and foremost. If you have a doc nearby who understands diving, awesome; go see them. Otherwise use the advice posted above and print out some guidelines from DAN and other sources to assist the doc in their examination. I don't think the DSD course would be enough to go on compared to what happens in open water. That said, congrats on your tobacco cessation and commitment to revitalize your health. Just be safe, and have fun when it is safe to do so. Oh, and make sure to be fully open with the doctor, help them help you

You should be fine to [Edit 6M not 10M], which is deep enough to appreciate 70% or more of interesting things to see.
You could try the DSD course first.

[Edit - if you are certified scuba ---
Boat dives are deep first, shallow 2nd. However, just do shore dives, like that you can do basically extended snorkeling.
---]

Remember that in warm water, like in the Caribbeans, you lungs should clear up. Most asthma sufferers, like myself, are related to allergies.
I have a near nil allergy down South on the islands. I love it there.

Weird enough - quitting smoking will make your asthma worse - don't know your age, but it can be a good 5+ years before your lungs regenerate sufficiently [edit -- for you asthma to stabilize and diminish, instead of getting worse --]

I suggest you do a DSD first. See if you can stay 15+ mins in the deep end of a 5m deep pool w/o difficulty. Cold water is denser, if you find 5m pool is easy-peasy, you could/should be fine in 6m.

IOW, scuba isn't an intensive sport, so you should not have increased heart rate & breathing. However, diving from a boat in ocean swells, seeing the bottom from 50+ feet up, equalizing your ears, will be difficult.
Before you invest in a scuba course, the DSD will let you know your personal comfort level.
Remain calm...

FWIW, swimming inches away from tropical fish, that just think your an inoffensive turtle, is truly awesome.

Just from a Respiratory Therapist's point of view don't listen to the above advice.

If you have a doc nearby who understands diving, awesome; go see them. Otherwise use the advice posted above and print out some guidelines from DAN

Yeah I'm having a hard time finding a doctor versed in dive medicine, let alone one on my insurance plan. I got the medical forums from an LDS and they highlighted a number for the doctor to call to consult with a DAN doctor. So I am going to make an appointment with the head of pulmonology at my clinic .

i am also asthmatic and have been for a number of years. the most important thing to remember is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!
to dive safely with asthma you must go to a doctor, ideally a pulmonary doctor who knows about diving. That doctor can evaluate you and give you clearence to dive or advise you on a course of treatment.
my asthma is extremely well controlled and i have zero limitations. my lung functions are above normal and i'm diving with no change to my pre-asthma days. But that's me!

Asthma is a potentially life threatening condition....even more so in a diving situation. Advice from everyone here is great....but none of it matters until you get your own medical status handled.

i am also asthmatic and have been for a number of years. the most important thing to remember is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!
to dive safely with asthma you must go to a doctor, ideally a pulmonary doctor who knows about diving. That doctor can evaluate you and give you clearence to dive or advise you on a course of treatment.
my asthma is extremely well controlled and i have zero limitations. my lung functions are above normal and i'm diving with no change to my pre-asthma days. But that's me!

Asthma is a potentially life threatening condition....even more so in a diving situation. Advice from everyone here is great....but none of it matters until you get your own medical status handled.
100% spot on!!! Out of all my patients that have pulmonary complications, Asthma patients were the hardest to ventilate. OBTW how are you doing with your peak flow? (Directed at OP) One good thing about asthma is that sometimes you can see an attack coming on by indications of your peak flow. Green area...OK, yellow area attack pending...red seek medical help. If nothing else tell your instructor as well as current and future dive buddies. They have a right to know.

peak flows at about 380 which is in my 80-100% range but i don't monitor it well enough. I probably should start doing better on that.

I stopped checking when my doctor stopped prescribing the pumps.

So ten or so years free of household pets & smokers, as well as the small sinus operation - the one that he sticks a 6 inch curved metal tube into the sinus, and flushes with saline. Head in a vise.

The sinus op cleared my recurring sinus infections, that would seep into my lungs at night. Aggravating my condition.

So a message of hope to Drx6x - things get better with age - if you get rid of your allergens, and give your lungs time to regenerate.

If you can't dive now, perhaps in a few years you can get reevaluated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom