at what point are you..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aren't these the skills of every certified scuba diver/ow diver - to learn how to dive independently without an instructor, otherwise they're a resort course diver.

I think what DivemasterDennis means is you are not a beginner when you can do all of these things smoothly, no bumbling, aggrivation, forgetting big or little steps, etc. It's like anything else. Just because you've been taught well and understand everything and are capable of doing it all doesn't doesn't mean you've passed being a beginner. When I got my college degree and started teaching band I was a beginner. A year or 2 later I was not.
There is a lot of complicated stuff to learn in OW class--sometimes we forget how it was to not know one end of a regulator from the other.

Greetings blackvans1234 and very good question that many have given great comments to.
Personally I consider myself a fledgling tech diver who is just beginning advanced dives and moving very slowly mastering skills and planning / executing those dives.
A advanced diver exhibits all the skills, attitudes, humility, and most of all completes the planned dives safely and successfully.

I have witnessed divers with a many dives exhibit incredible dive skills while diving within their training and comfort zone.
If you take the very same diver and put them into a new environment things change dramatically.
The differenced I believe between good divers and great ones is the sound judgement and humility to seek training and become the ever evolving student.
One never stops learning or we regress into complacency which for a diver is a death sentence.

Comfort in the water in multiple environments , good stress management, excellent dive planning and executing, sound judgement with conservatism, a ever learning student spirit, elevated awareness in and out of the water, solid "mastered" skill sets, understand your personal risk assessment, KNOW YOUR PERSONAL LIMITS!
Rec or Tech does not matter these criteria and more need to apply before I would even attempt to move into the advanced realm.

There are many here on Scuba Board who are the real deal when it comes to advanced divers who exhibit these qualities.
Their words and wisdom have served me well as other fledgling divers.
Thank you!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Back
Top Bottom