At what point do you consider redundancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only have one buddy I would trust to dive with below 30m and yes, I trust him to stick with me and be able to get me out of an OOA situation should it occur. However, there are a lot of things that can go wrong on a dive that have nothing to do with whether my buddy is trustworthy or not. So I will carry a pony as an extra precaution.

I agree that there is no reason for a heated debate. Different strokes for different folks. If I had the cash, then I would get doubles but not everyone can fork out a few thousand for that set up :)

Twin tanks are heavy too, which is another major disadvantage.

A 40 cu ft pony is nice and light, by comparison to twins!

Also, regardless of the dive, I have redundant computers.
JR
Why?
For technical dives I can see the point but for recreational ones?
If the computer craps, you either continue the dive (I feel comfortable doing recreational one-tank dives without a computer using other information to stay safe), follow your buddy or abort the dive...
If you want to carry one, fine, I just don´t really see the point...

Redundant depth and time more than anything else if you don't have backup gauges. Again i dont like having to rely on an unpredictable 3rd party (ie a buddy) for anything so on any dive if my computer dies i need at least a timer and depth gauge to safely end the dive.

My view is every diver should be equipped to dive solo, that way if anything goes wrong and the buddy is AWOL they can still help themselves.

Agreed.

When I teach recreational classes I'm in a single tank. Otherwise I've got at least 2 tanks on me, usually more. But almost all of my nonteaching dives are in caves. And I have a kit for each configuration I dive - SM, BM, and single tank. Yes, it gets expensive!

I also dont have the "doubles" setup yet but I have a 30cft pony and my criteria are as such:

30cu/ft pony required:

1: Anything past 60fsw
2:Strange buddy past 30 fsw
3:Wreck penetrations
4:Anytime I dive water deeper than my EAN Max Depth
5:Diving with newbs
6: High activity diving

I have just purchased my first set of doubles. I bought them thinking I will learn deco for extended bottom times. (not depths as much). I started out with a single steel 120 with an H valve and 30cf pony. I dive off the NC coast and eastern seaboard regularly below 100ft. The doubles will be a welcomed addition, as I had trouble with the H-valve pinching my wing and it just did'nt set up as freely as I would like. The only problem with diving doubles that I can see, is that after the first dive I will be back to a single tank in PSI with no redundancy for my second dive. So I think I will be diving steel singles with no Hvalve, but with the 30cf pony. I will save the doubles for single deep dive dives w/deco obligations. I also use a redundant PSI and depth guage (small console) as well as a computer. Call me old fashioned, but I like it.
I hope the doubles will get more usage...once I figure out how to cover that second dive with enough psi. What are you guys doing for your second dive in doubles, you have used up half of your air on the first dive, so now what...were is the safety margen?

MR.B

Well, personally, I transfill from an HP130. But I have friends who'll do the second dive on an Al80 stage, and keep rock bottom in their backgas.

... What are you guys doing for your second dive in doubles, you have used up half of your air on the first dive, so now what...were is the safety margen?

MR.B

your safety margin is in your planning ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom