"Athletic fit" Suit Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdiver68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for recommendations specific to a body type. That being the thick upper body/thinner lower or "V" body you might associate with a competition swimmer, wrestler, or (in my case) weightlifter. Unfortunately, shops around here don't carry enough stock to try on different suits

I'm 5'10, 175, 43 Chest, 34Waist (hey it's winter), 38Hips. I have trouble with normal business suit sizing as I "swim" in the pants matched with 44 Jackets and need extensive tailoring. I've found some shops which carry athletic sizing and these are my best bet.

Now I know throwing money at the problem always works, i.e. full custom suit. But I'm not there yet. I'm looking for off-the-shelf recommendations in a 5mm fullsuit. Based on sizing charts and reviews, it seems the higher end "elastic" type suits from Pinnacle (Elastiprene Med-L) and ScubaPro (Everflex Med-Reg) may be good options? O'Neill's Sector suit may also be a good bet? Others?

Last edited:
Hi sdiver68,

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. I will, however, pose another situation to you: If you do eventually decide to get a custom wetsuit, you might look into the price of a custom drystuit for comparative purposes - the drysuit might offer you a far greater temperature range for only a modest increase in price (not sure). The only issue is that, in general, wetsuits are stretchier than drysuits (especially if you opt for a trilaminate drysuit), so you would have to not add too many inches to your pipes, lest the suit no longer fit.

I have very similar measurements to you myself. I'm a couple inches shorter than you and about an inch larger in all the other areas. I have the same exact problem. I have not been able to find an 'off the rack' suit that fits and I've tried several different brands.

You may want to try Xcel wetsuits, I turned out to be an XLS size for my 7/6 mm full suit. Here's a link: XCEL WETSUITS || OFFICIAL SITE My 7/6mm full keeps me warm in waters down to about 50 degrees for about 2 one hour dives with an hour surface interval between them. I could probably keep diving after that but our boat only does 2 tank dives usually.

I resolved my problem by going the custom drysuit route for fall/winter diving and will move to a 3mm shortie in the spring/summer. I'll be hanging up the 7mm suit for good in a week when the drysuit arrives.

Good luck in your search. I feel your pain having gone through it myself recently.

Look at the Body Glove sizing. These guys started out for surfer types, bigger in the arms, shoulders and chest, smaller waist and legs. More of a V body type.

You are going to find great difficulty. Most wetsuits, heck even cloths, are made for people who have a waist size larger than their inseam. This results in either buying a suit that is tight in the arms and legs to get it to fit in the waist or getting a suit that is sloppy big in the gut/butt so that it fits in the chest, arms, legs.

Of course, there is hope as I have found, age and a few extra pounds solves the problem so you have that to look forward to.

Of off the shelf suits, I have found that Bare tends to more of an athletic cut rather than the typical male gut cut.

LOL.

You have to realize we live in a country that in which the majority of people are significantly over weight or obese. If the suits and cloths are not cut to fit them then customers don't buy. Once upon a time they had big and tall shops, now I think they need a "normal" store for those of us who (used to, lol) maintain a waist less than our inseam.

N

Look at the Body Glove sizing. These guys started out for surfer types, bigger in the arms, shoulders and chest, smaller waist and legs. More of a V body type.

I will agree with what ScubaSkipper said in regards to Body Glove. Mine is a little long but it's a compromise.

That's what my 3mm full suit is. I had forgotten what the brand was until I looked.

As I am not a man, this may or may not apply. However, I do have what you may call the female version of the athletic shape - wide square shoulders with narrow hips and large calves - and my latest 3mm suit is an O'Neal's and it is one of the better fitting I've had.

There is also a British make called Gul popular with surfers - the women's version I had years ago was very roomy in the chest but snug on the hips and legs.

Happy shopping

I'm similar in measurements to you, 35 waist, 42-43 chest, 190 lbs, 6'0" and I found the henderson Large instadry 3mm fits me excellently...

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom