"Athletic fit" Suit Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought I'd "pay-it-forward" and hopefully someone else benefits from my experience.

I started with a Pinnacle Breaker Medium Large 3mm but it was too small mostly in the chest and arms.

I decided to upgrade to the Pinnacle Elastiprene Large Small 3mm for the more stretchy material and ankle zippers. It's a perfect fit other than the neck which just fits. It seals well but there seems to be a bit of fabric bulge where the velcro flap goes over the zipper area to make it seal. I don't know if that will even be noticeable in the water, but worst case would be to have a tailor reduce about 1/2" of fabric. Or do some neck exercises for a thicker neck :rofl3:

I may go full custom for my next colder water suit, or assuming the neck seal works well in the water or with a small tailoring effort there may be no need.

going back to the drysuit suggestion, the fusion drysuit fits most body types, with the flexability of a wetsuit. As well it can cover you in regards to any temperature range.

So, your problem seems to be your legs are much smaller than your chest from weightlifting?
How about some squats?
Of course you could go with a custom suit like the Horizon site...but looking at their website, I'd say they have dipped WWWaaaayyy too deep into the psychedelic color palette!!!(some of those color combos are just ugly!)
How about a mix and match farmer john/jacket? You can get them sold separately for different sizes.

Last edited:
So, your problem seems to be your legs are much smaller than your chest from weightlifting?
How about some squats?

I do squats but of the lower weight, higher rep variety. 2 torn ACL's will do that to a person.

I like my Pinnacle wetsuit and they've got truckloads of sizes and a super-stretchy neoprene (elastaprene is the brand name.) That being said, I've heard Henderson hyperstretch suits are excellent if you want an off the rack suit that will stretch to really any size.

I'm looking for recommendations specific to a body type. That being the thick upper body/thinner lower or "V" body you might associate with a competition swimmer, wrestler, or (in my case) weightlifter. Unfortunately, shops around here don't carry enough stock to try on different suits

I'm 5'10, 175, 43 Chest, 34Waist (hey it's winter), 38Hips. I have trouble with normal business suit sizing as I "swim" in the pants matched with 44 Jackets and need extensive tailoring. I've found some shops which carry athletic sizing and these are my best bet.

Now I know throwing money at the problem always works, i.e. full custom suit. But I'm not there yet. I'm looking for off-the-shelf recommendations in a 5mm fullsuit. Based on sizing charts and reviews, it seems the higher end "elastic" type suits from Pinnacle (Elastiprene Med-L) and ScubaPro (Everflex Med-Reg) may be good options? O'Neill's Sector suit may also be a good bet? Others?

You answered your own question. You're not going to find a better off the rack athletic fit than an O'Neill Sector. I have similar proportion and I ended up with a Sector.

You should be able to fit into a Large with no problem.

http://www.oneill.com/#/men/america...etsuits/dive/fullsuits/size_chart/abyss_grey/

I'm also similar, 6', 180, 43" chest, 32" waist, and I have a Camaro semi-dry. Fits better than any other wetsuit that I have tried. (waist is still roomy, but I deal with it).

I have a similar problems with a suit, as I am 6,2", 180 lbs., 43" chest and 32" waist. My last suit as way too tight in the chest and arms. Does Henderson make one that will fit, or am I looking at a custom? If so, what custom do you recommend? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom