Looking for women's 5/3 suit and related advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esprise Me

Kelp forest dweller
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Cozumel in June with my husband and dive club; we might also do a day trip to the cenotes. I currently own a 7mm wetsuit and a Sharkskin jacket, the latter of which I find to be the warmth equivalent of about 2 mm of neoprene. I'm thinking about buying a thinner wetsuit for the trip, and I'm thinking a 5/3 would be good for my low cold tolerance, but I'm having trouble finding one. I'm also contemplating just renting a wetsuit there (maybe pairing with my Sharkskin if necessary), or bringing my 7mm. Any product recommendations or links would be appreciated.

I'm also open to feedback on the wisdom of my desired wetsuit thickness. I run cold and have found this to be accurate for me: Scuba Wetsuit Thickness Guide: How to Match Your Wetsuit to the Water Temperature
I dived in Playa del Carmen and Cenote dos Ojos a year ago last December, so I have a pretty good idea of water temperatures, though I understand the air will be warmer in June. I used a rented 2.5mm fullsuit for the ocean dives (79-82 F) and, at the shop's recommendation, layered two of those suits in the cenote (77 F) and was quite comfortable except for getting slightly chilled on the boat ride back (air temps were low-mid 70s, partly cloudy and windy.) I did take my 7mm to Turks and Caicos last month and felt that was the right decision due to the weather and sheer number of dives (sometimes cool and cloudy; 27 dives in 6 days), but since Cozumel will be a land-based summer trip with only 2 dives per day included, and since my non-diving husband is coming along (hence I won't be doing extra dives), I'm not as worried about getting cold. I could just buy a 2mm or 3mm and it might suffice for this trip, and in fact I have my eye on a 3/2 on sale for $50. But I question how much use I'd get out of it beyond this trip and whether it would even suffice in the cenotes, and I have really limited space in my apartment to store additional gear. I believe a 5/3 would cover a much wider range of environments and allow more repetitive dives than a 2 or 3mm, while still drying faster and requiring maybe 5 lbs. less lead than my 7mm. I did an hour-long aquarium dive in Vegas with a 5/3 wetsuit they provided, in 76 degree water, with a lot of kneeling and no vigorous swimming to generate body heat, and I was perfectly comfortable.

One other thing: I hate hoods. I tolerate them in cold water because they're slightly less uncomfortable than hypothermia, but I will. Not. Dive. With. One. In. Mexico. Please do not suggest a 3mm plus a hood, or hooded vest, or hood-integrated suit, or anything else with the word "hood" in it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom