Atom 2.0 Strange Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiptopperoo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,I purchased an Atom 2.0 with transmitter in December last year. The first one was replaced but now the second one is doing strange things.

I have done 22 dives on this computer, never had a problem with it while diving, but have had a few issues when just in day to day use.

Firstly, it started showing the low battery indicator, then I couldn't go into dive mode. Then from the standard time screen, it jumbled up the order of features. For example it was showing the alternate time as the main time. Then the next screen was timer, then chrono, then alarm and main time seemed to be the final screen, but the 'home screen' was alternate time. I know this because I could only access dive mode through the alternate time screen. I played around with it for a while and it seemed to sort itself out, battery low indicator was gone, and when I checked the battery status it said 'Good'.

Then just yesterday, it died altogether, blank display out of nowhere, no low battery indicator or nothing. I went to change the battery, but as soon as I opened it up and touched the battery slightly, it sprang back to life, battery status reading as good. I checked the contacts and the actual battery, all looked fine. So I re-greased the o-ring locked it back down and it seems to be working fine.

Now this is the second atom 2.0 I have had. The first one got replaced within the first few weeks because it locked out of dive mode for an unknown reason. I don't really want to have to replace it again, I am starting my Divemaster course in Phuket in 2 days and don't want to have to stuff around posting stuff (unless you guys say its madatory)but this seems a strange thing to happen on 2 different computers. All the dive staff in Thailand seem to use Suunto D9's and as hard as I am trying to fly the oceanic flag its not easy when they have not had issues with theres in 2 years.

Have you ever heard of anything like it, or does the watch sound like a dud. I have been wearing it everyday through Thailand, Laos and now Vietnam, so it has been hot, humid and sweaty, but for a dive watch I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

-Kind Regards
Dave

I had a similar problem with an Atom 2 losing battery connection intermittently. Oceanic replaced it with no problems. Not sure they ever really said what the problem was but they sent me a new computer.

That sounds exactly like my problem! They have been great with email support, so should have it all sorted soon.

-Dave

That sounds exactly like my problem! They have been great with email support, so should have it all sorted soon.

-Dave

I have an Atom 1.0 and 2.0. Had this issue years ago with the 1.0. Seemed to correct itself and havent had a problem in 4 years. Let us know what Oceanic says.

Oceanic want the computer back. Although now it seems to be working perfectly it just makes me a little uneasy knowing that the computer may just decide to turn off. I will let you know what happens.

-Dave

I get a flicker sometimes. Anyone else gets that?

Has anyone got any more news on this issue?

Both my girlfriend and I got Atom 2 computers last year. Mine appeared to be working fine however my girlfriends was doing strange things like Tiptopperoos. It had strange display orders and didnt go into dive mode properly and didnt log the dives that she had been doing.

The low battery indicator had come on and my low battery indicator had started coming on and then showing good intermittently. I took both computers back to the shop that we bought them from and the dealer changed the batteries in both.

Now after only about three weeks both computers are showing low battery indicator intermittently and both keep having this issue where the screen goes blank and then a few seconds later comes back on. sometimes this happens and it comes back normally however sometimes when it comes back the date and time have reset to 1/1/2006.

In fact last week I did my first dive on the 18 may and the second dive logged as 1/1/2006.

If you could let me know if Oceanic have said there are any issue or if they are just replacing the watches I would be grateful for any information

Thank you

I'd start with changing the batteries in your Atom 2s. That may clear up all of your issues. If it doesn't, call Oceanic service and they'll fix you right up. Some Oceanic computers are tempermental about batteries.

I have spoken to Oceanic in the US via email and phone. They are very helpful but the problem isn't solved. Unfortunately with me living in Thailand at the moment, Thai customs will apparently charge me a substantial import fee. This is preventing me from sending the unit back for replacement at the moment but if my problems continue I will have no choice. In my most recent discussion, it was decided that perhaps the battery terminals were loose, so I have tightened this up a touch. However just yesterday afternoon I looked down at the watch and noticed it had reset itself, meaning that the power had failed again. Lucky I had finished diving for the day, because all my residual nitrogen data was gone.

I will try swapping in a new battery (the spare one that comes with the unit) and see if this fixes the problem. I would be interested to know more about these temperamental issues with the Atom 2's that Phil alluded too.

Cheers
Dave

If what has happened in the past holds true, the spare battery that came with your unit will cause the same issues.

There were some posts about a year ago about Oceanic getting a bad batch of batteries from their supplier. And some brands of replacement batteries seemed to work better than others. It affected more than just the Atoms though.

Try the other battery, but run a search for batteries here. It should give you some direction about what replacement batteries work best if you need to go that route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom