Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,
Any information in first firmware update, or when the Mac dive software will be availible?
We have heard that they have established a USB connection- getting the drivers done is most of the battle so that is good news. So I hope MacDive support for Cobalt will be forthcoming shortly. Apparently the Windows software still has some issues that prevent release- it would be ironic if MacDive is first.
Firmware update is doing fine, but I expect that general release of an update will depend on release of the Windows software- that's what most divers will need to install it.

2) the computer is having trouble establishing communications with the battery fuel gauge chip. This latter issue has turned up with some units, and is actually resolved with a later firmware update that permits a slightly longer delay in establishing communications. It is usually associated with seeing a couple of dashes momentarily after waking the computer from sleep in the main menu. In this newer firmware we are no longer using the "charge stopped" message except to signify an out of temperature problem.

Ron, what does the "it" in bold mean?

Does "it" mean the problem is associated with the couple of dashes?

Or does "it" mean the solution is associated with the couple of dashes?

The reason I'm asking is that I always get the couple of dashes when waking up the Cobalt. After a few seconds, the dashes go away and the digits that tell me the amount of charge appear. So I'm trying to figure out, in layman's terms, i.e., small words ha ha, if I have a problem or not. I'm thinking the latter. I've never seen a "charge stopped" message.

Ron, what does the "it" in bold mean?

Does "it" mean the problem is associated with the couple of dashes?

Or does "it" mean the solution is associated with the couple of dashes?

The reason I'm asking is that I always get the couple of dashes when waking up the Cobalt. After a few seconds, the dashes go away and the digits that tell me the amount of charge appear. So I'm trying to figure out, in layman's terms, i.e., small words ha ha, if I have a problem or not. I'm thinking the latter. I've never seen a "charge stopped" message.

"It" means just the appearance of the dashes- which is not normally a problem. If the "charge stopped" message Servantguy reported was due to a communications failure with the battery fuel gauge I would expect the dashes to persist for a good long while. It seems he might have a battery problem instead.

There is no problem unless the dashes don't go away. The dashes are there as a kind of placeholder until the communications with the fuel gauge are established, the battery charge is tested, and we get a good reading on the battery. Most of the time this will just take a few seconds. In practice we have found that the dashes tended to confuse people, so we are instead just going to display the last good value, and update that when we get a new reading. You will see that change in the first firmware update.

OLED screen visibility in sun light: is this an issue/concern? Some amazing OLED screens used on today's smartphones and nearly all of them have significant issues with viewing their screens on a sunny day. And, well, I like to dive on sunny days and will, no doubt, use the computer out of the water while getting ready for the dive, etc.

...sorry if this was already discussed...did a search in the thread for a few terms and could not find any discussion related to screen visibility out in the sun. Thanks!

I am seeing several dealers advertising "free download kit" and "free screen protector" with purchase of the Cobalt. I am assuming this is some sort of misrepresentation because it seems that the included USB cable is the "download kit" and, according to what RonR noted, the screen protector is also standard. So, some retailers are portraying these as two additional items that are not standard. Are they standard in the sealed Cobalt box?

Yes, they both come in the box.

And one online dealer, Dive Pro Discount Gear, continues to list the Cobalt's "retail price" at $1,725 but "your price" from them is only $1,200. That's a great deal except it's not. $1,200 is the actual MSRP and is what you will pay for the Cobalt anywhere else.

Totally misleading.

Ron, thanks for answering my question.

OLED screen visibility in sun light: is this an issue/concern? Some amazing OLED screens used on today's smartphones and nearly all of them have significant issues with viewing their screens on a sunny day...

It's an issue with emissive color screens generally. I've had not major problems, but if you are in bright sunlight topside you are going to want to find a spot of shade or shade the screen with your hand. Like most things, the OLED screen is a tradeoff- you get low power consumption, color, and great clarity, but lose some full sunlight visibility. But then I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so sun is not a problem we have regularly:wink:.

I will charitably assume that the dealers advertising "free download kit" or "free screen protectors" are merely pointing out the fact that Atomic has chosen to supply those components as part of the package, rather than charging extra for them- as many manufacturers do.

I will charitably assume that the dealers advertising "free download kit" or "free screen protectors" are merely pointing out the fact that Atomic has chosen to supply those components as part of the package, rather than charging extra for them- as many manufacturers do.

Hmmm. Kind of like the protective sleeve that came as part of my Suunto Cobra2 package but very unlike the protective sleeve that didn't come with my Cobalt. :D (In fairness, the Cobra's "download kit" was extra but at least it was available for purchase unlike the Cobalt's protect--oh, never mind.)

Ron, I know you don't speak for Atomic and I don't expect a response, but I can't help but wonder how AA feels about a dealer who vastly overstates an Atomic product's retail price so that the dealer can then discount the price back down to the MSRP as if he's done the consumer a huge favor when in reality he's done nothing of the kind.

Not quite so charitable, I suspect.

That has to violate whatever agreement there is between the parties, assuming there is one.

Ron, I know you don't speak for Atomic and I don't expect a response, but I can't help but wonder how AA feels about a dealer who vastly overstates an Atomic product's retail price so that the dealer can then discount the price back down to the MSRP as if he's done the consumer a huge favor when in reality he's done nothing of the kind.

Not quite so charitable, I suspect.

That has to violate whatever agreement there is between the parties, assuming there is one.

I plan on getting this computer in another couple of months and have seen the very thing you have described. What a joke and to me, an outright lie, when a dealer does this. I wouldn't buy from them just because they come across as deceitful. I did see one dealer who had "marked it down" from $1200 to $1199.99!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom