Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just did a quick check. Here is one example.

Dive Right in Scuba:

MSRP: $1399.99
Our Price: $1199.99
Save: $200

What a joke! :shakehead:

this has to be the easiest computer in the world, plus so easy to read! I would own one if it would tri mix!

Showing a sales price above the actual Manufacturers suggested retail price is an old auto dealership ploy. In todays world consumers soon find out the real truth.

I know some of the folks at Atomic. They make great gear. RonR-on this board-did a brilliant job on the Cobalt.

No need to fake it with contrived pricing.

I see "Dive Right In Scuba" is viewing the thread. Maybe they will explain why they do it this way.

I was viewing the thread, and my computer froze. I had some in store customers to help, so I guess while it was frozen, it still showed online...

No ploy...as much as you would like to believe. The ONLY reason we have the price higher is a flaw in our online stores back end. Believe me or not, this is why it is that way on our site..

OK, so Manufacturers mostly have a MSRP price, and what they call MAP price. MAP being the minimum Advertised price...or what we can advertise it for sale for online. If you look at an item, you will see MSRP and then our price...our price being MAP, if there is one, or whatever price we determine we want to sell it for. Atomic doesn't publish an MSRP, their MSRP and MAP are the same. So, if I plug in the $1200 for MSRP and then the OUR PRICE of $1200, as you pointed out to someone who had $1200 and $1199...you would think WTF? A whole penny savings, what a joke...just like someone said a few posts prior. At the same token, I can't just leave the field blank, because it has to show both fields live online.

So what do we do? We took the normal equation of what people charge from MSRP to MAP, and plugged that in as the MSRP. This is no ploy....people online are smarter than that and have already looked at the product on 6 websites...they aren't falling for anything like that. So to assume, suggest, or think that, is foolish and not giving internet buyers the credit the deserve as smart shoppers.

Is this something that we like to do? Nope, but at this point, I don't have a good way around it. It is a flaw in the online store, that it HAS to have the two fields filled in. Look at whatever site did the $1200 and $1199.99....you called them a joke too. So what can a online store do? You don't like any options....god forbid I had $1200 as MSRP and $1200 as MAP showing your savings at $0.00...then what would you say?

Before these posts came up, we have already been working on a fix for this, which should be done soon. The problem is these fixes can cost money...sometimes more than we think the problem deserves....so we were relaxed on the time frame of having the code re-worked and implemented. I will get back on top of it as it seems to be a bigger concern than we every thought.

Call it what you want, think what you want, but that is true reason for it showing up that way on our site :wink: Also, when the code is complete, it will take some time to get all the products changed on all items. As much as we would love to have everything updated ASAP, we don't have a staff of ten people that work on our online store. We have 1.....me. And I also run the entire store, online forums, answer your emails quickly, and phone calls and questions....I have a great staff that is AWESOME, and fully pull more than their weight as well. But some things aren't always as high on the totem pole as others:wink: As I said, I will get back on this as it is obviously a bigger problem than we thought.

Buy some more stuff so we can afford more staff :D JK for those that may attempt to take that out of context.

PS- thanks to whomever called to tell us about this thread <cheers>

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of more questions as I am very seriously considering this versus the Mares ICON HD (which will have AI later this year..likely retro active to existing models).

Retailers are saying that the Cobalt has:
1. "On-board 3D digital compass"
2. "Track Back Digital Compass - Why get lost?"

"3D" implies that it displays both X and Y axis along with the Z axis. I don't see that from the screen shots. In essence, the COMPASS (not just the depth meter) shows whether you are ascending or descending (along with going left/right, forward/back)??

Also, "Track back" implies that you can set your bearing marker, go swim to any location and then somehow ask or have the Cobalt tell you how to get back to the same location where you started. To me, the use of the term "track back" is far more passive then how a person would use a normal compass to get back to where they started (which involves counting kicks or time). Clearly the Cobalt does not have a GPS. Perhaps the accelerometer aids in the "track back"? I mean, does it possibly know who far in distance I have gone in all directions? Bottom-line: Is the "track back" capability really what it is alluding to..or it is nothing more than setting a bearing marker with a reciprocal marker being placed 180 from that (which, of course, is nothing more than a normal compass can do)?

Anyone use this "track back" feature? ...sounds awesome if it works as as implied.

Last edited:
So Mike, If you wanted to, could you list "Our Price" at say $1175.00" or would Atomic not allow you to sell it for that?

So Mike, If you wanted to, could you list "Our Price" at say $1175.00" or would Atomic not allow you to sell it for that?

Nope, that would be a MAP violation...meaning I am advertising their product below what they say I can...and they can terminate us as a dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom