Atomic M1 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my M1. I did a dive to 200' a couple of weeks ago and had my M1 on one post, and an Apex tx100 on the other, and did a few back and forth switches to compare. Both breathed equally like a dream.

However, I bought the M1 because I dive cold waters and I wanted the environmentally sealed first stage. If I was diving warm, I would look at other options. There are other brands out there that will do the job without paying for what you won't use.

Just something to think about...

darcyatomic:
Ah ha, yes, nitrox and titanium don't seem to mix well so you are probably doing the right thing by getting the M1. That will solve your problem. Swivel should be no problem.

Please explain :confused:

Hello Rick - thanks for your feedback. I know that I could get one for less, but the t reasons that I selected the M1 is because of it's breatheability, swivels (ergonomics), minimal titanium. I don't want to be having to purchase another one anytime in the near future - so this is it!

Hello Victor - titanium is highly combustible when exposed to high oxygen concentrations. Even though they say that these titanium regulators are 40% nitrox compatible there are some people that are concerned. I just did not want to deal with this so I decided to select the M1 which is actually 80% nitrox compatible because it is primarily made of brass/monel. This is far more than I will ever need. I am told that it really is not a problem unless you are a tech diver dealing with > than 40% nitrox; however, I don't want the hassle of running into someone who refuses to rent me nitrox again. I hope that this helps.

-amadeus

Titanium oxide is highly combustible. Its like the mean tempered older brother of Aluminum Oxide. Which when mixed with Iron Oxide makes a neat little substance called Thermite.

Simple solution is to either educate the dive shop or stop going to it.
I would think twice before having stuff done at that shop if they are so misinformed.

BTW, I too own 3 B1's and 1 M1 and love them all.

The LP hose on the M1 has a swivel and the Z2 does not. I understand that this is a nice feature to have. The M1 second stage also has the an anti-surge front cover to help with free flow problems and the extended exhaust tee which is not standard on the Z2.

Good info on the Titanium vs. Oxygen. Did not know that...

I have a B2. Love the swivel! While I don't do a lot of cold water diving, I do know that whether you're at 3 ft or 130 ft, the reg breathes the same, smooooth and easy. The other regs I've used, I can not say the same… Great product.

darcyatomic:
Ah ha, yes, nitrox and titanium don't seem to mix well so you are probably doing the right thing by getting the M1. That will solve your problem. Swivel should be no problem.
I have a Z1,,,can I use it for nitrox??

The Z1 contains titanium. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I highly doubt they would rate it to 40% if it wasn't safe. The legal issues would be too much to bare. Still interesting though.

I've used mine with nitrox and my head is still attached.... Wait... what's that smell... "POOF"!

Back
Top Bottom