atomic M1 vs Aqualung legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......I think I'm seein' why I couldn't care less about a manufacturer's warranty.

...over each 2 year period, without warranty I'm payin' for (2) annual labor fees and (2) parts kits...with warranty I'm payin' for (2) annual labor fees and (1) part kit....so it's amounts to (1) trivial parts kit 'freebie' every 2 years....BIG DEAL! :shakehead:

is that true? so your not really saving any big money. You still have to buy parts every other year? Thats BS! Why would i care about the warranty also. I rather get the reg from an online dealr and save a couple of hundred

is that true? so your not really saving any big money. You still have to buy parts every other year? Thats BS! Why would i care about the warranty also. I rather get the reg from an online dealr and save a couple of hundred

no... they just want an "inspection" in the years parts aren't included. You pay the labor for it.

I have both the M1 and the Legend LX, and have well over a hundred dives on each and will say that my M1 breathes noticably better, especially when deep. I didn't think the difference would be as great since my Legend is a great reg. My Legend is now a backup unit. I never even think about breathing with the M1, even under load at 150fsw! The M1 is worth the $$$ and you won't beat the engineering. Hope this helps.

i second the m1 there the best reg out there by far. 1000 dives on my main reg love it been to 200ft in 38 deg water never had an issue. As for the legends there not bad but no were as refined as the m1

I don't know what you guys are talking about the cost of annual service but this is how it goes for me.

I take my Legend LX for annual service every 12 months. Every time it gets overhauled. Every time I pay only for labour. Period. So every time all parts are free, and I know they are swapped. I make >100 dives a year and that is what my tech asks and that is why he swaps the parts every time for free. If I didn't dive as much, he would only swap them every 2 years. I don't know if your shop does not go by that policy but that's how it works for me.

I have other regs by Apeks that I did not buy from authorized dealer, and I pay dearly every time I have to buy that parts kit on top of the labour. Grrr.

And to OP - been very happy with the Legend.

I don't know what you guys are talking about the cost of annual service but this is how it goes for me.

I take my Legend LX for annual service every 12 months. Every time it gets overhauled. Every time I pay only for labour. Period. So every time all parts are free, and I know they are swapped. I make >100 dives a year and that is what my tech asks and that is why he swaps the parts every time for free. If I didn't dive as much, he would only swap them every 2 years. I don't know if your shop does not go by that policy but that's how it works for me.

what I posted above was in reference to Aqualungs "official policy" on "Free parts for life". (Officially they only provide parts "every other year" but want an inspection service every year.) I can dig the link back up and provide it if needed.

Anyway, sounds like you have a LDS if they replace parts every year and don't charge you for it. not all shops do that. (some don't even give free parts as it's not required for the dealer to participate in that program).

Mike you wouldn't have parts kits for Apeks for a good price? DS4 and XTX50 seconds? :)

None of my local shops carry Atomics either but all but one do Aqualung.

I don't have a Legend, but a M1. I upgraded from a Oceanic CDX4/GT3. The M1 breathes noticably better at depth than my GT3. I never realized this until I upgraded to the M1. Another thing I really like about the M1 is the extended exhaust ports keeping bubbles out of my face. I didn't mind them with my GT3, but it's another reason it's hard for me to go back.

A few things I do miss about my GT3 though:
The ACD or whatever Oceanic calls it on the 1st stage--basically a piece of plastic that sticks out of the 1st stage to keep water from entering in when it's not connected to a tank. These days I have to be extra careful about putting the cover on and making sure that the cover itself is clean.
My LDS warned me that with the M1, the seat saver mechanism can allow water up the hose when it's not pressurized by air from a tank. And that I should reconnect it to tank and purge the 2nd stage after rinsing it.

I'm told that if you decide to go doubles, the M1 makes hose routing a bit easier than the Legend. Also, if you're using a wireless AI computer, connecting the transmitter to the 1st stage on the Legend might bit a bit of a pain and require an extender as the spacing is a bit tight. I did not have such issues with my Oceanic or M1.

I do believe that the AL Legend has the ACD feature.

Just a few things for FYI.

I know there are likely both top notch reg, but I'm still interested in opinions.
I read the Legend has excellent (best?) easy breathing especially at depth, and mouth comfort is also mentioned to be excellent (but not sure if noticeably better than a Titan).

I've never used the AL, however I can say that the M1 is the best breathing reg I've ever used, including deep, while breathing like an absolute hoover.

No matter what else is going on, it just sits there effortlessly doing exactly what it's supposed to.

It's also sealed, which makes it extremely resistant to first stage freezing and has a front cover designed to not freeflow when facing into a stiff current.

I'd buy another one without a second thought, and in fact, did. :cool:

Terry

Stargost,

There are lots of threads asking questions like this and in all my reading of these forums, if you read between the lines, I have discovered this: Almost all those who have used both an Atomic and any other brand, always seem to say they prefer the Atomic regs when compared back to back. The Atomics are also consistently rated very highly in every test I have seen, especially in work of breathing. It seems like only those who have never used the Atomic are the ones who are quite happy with their current reg, whatever it may be. Having said that, all the regs these days are pretty good and we are splitting hairs to make a decision sometimes. I have nothing against any reg maker. But for me, I want the best reg I can buy for me and if it costs a couple of bucks more, I feel I am worth it and that is a small price to pay IMHO.

It reminds me of the guy who drives a domestic car their whole life and tries to argue it rides and drives just as good as the premium brands, without ever having driven one of those. Then some day, perhaps 20 years later, they eventually get a chance to take that BMW for drive and discover, gee their really is a difference. You get what you pay for IMHO.

Again, it is your life, use whatever you like. All regs are pretty good as others have said. My opinion is certainly no more valid than anyone else’s. Maybe my opinion as a brand new diver should hold even less weight than average. But that is for you to decide. But I want the best equipment I can get for my money and am quite happy with what I chose for me. This is just the point of view of a newb diver who is investing in Atomic regs for the reasons above and those previously stated in this thread and my own research. Best of luck in your decision and safe diving to all.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom