atomic M1 vs Aqualung legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of threads asking questions like this and in all my reading of these forums, if you read between the lines, I have discovered this: Almost all those who have used both an Atomic and any other brand, always seem to say they prefer the Atomic regs when compared back to back. The Atomics are also consistently rated very highly in every test I have seen, especially in work of breathing. It seems like only those who have never used the Atomic are the ones who are quite happy with their current reg, whatever it may be. Having said that, all the regs these days are pretty good and we are splitting hairs to make a decision sometimes. I have nothing against any reg maker. But for me, I want the best reg I can buy for me and if it costs a couple of bucks more, I feel I am worth it and that is a small price to pay IMHO.

I've also never heard anybody who bought an Atomic and didn't like it.

I don't think I own anything (any type of equipment) as reliable and friendly as the M1. Jump in and breath. It's happy. Breath like a hoover. It's still happy. Do the same thing at 100'+ swimming into a current. No difference. Do all this while sharing air with your buddy. Still no difference.

That's exactly what I want from a reg. All the air me and my buddy can use with no difference due to depth or load.

I wouldn't even consider the price as a factor. In a couple of years you won't remember what you paid for any of your stuff, and you'll still have a world-class reg.

Terry

Picking a regulator usually isn't that hard, once you decide what criteria to use and how to balance those measures against each other...

Performance
Both the Legend and the M1 are high performance regulators but the piston design of the M1 makes for higher flow rates, especially at depth. Most people won't be able to detect much difference above 100 feet but if you're going deeper it can matter. Advantage: M1

Reliability
The exotic materials (Monel, titanium, zirconium, kevlar) used in the M1 are a nice touch and seem to increase the reliability. The AFC is just another way of balancing the second stage and not a major design breakthrough. The seat saving orifice is a cost-saving feature and works well. Design-wise, the guys at Atomic have a stellar record for doing whatever it takes to engineer a solid, reliable regulator - except for the cold-water issue. The fact remains that the M1 is a piston regulator and prone to first stage freezing in cold water. The "sort-of" sealed ambient chamber mostly works but still gets water in it and that makes the Legend diaphragm design superior. If you aren't diving in very cold water - and working the regulator pretty hard - you don't need to worry about the freezing. Advantage: M1 (unless you're a deep cold water diver)

Service availability
Depends upon where you are but, overall, getting service will be far easier for an Aqualung. Aqualungs are easier to work on, by a fairly significant margin, making it even easier to find a tech who can handle the job well. Neither one is prone to breaking down if you stick to the service schedule and keep your regulator well-rinsed, clean and dry. Advantage: Legend.

Initial cost
You'll have to figure this one out on your own but the Legend will probably cost about 10% less to purchase. Advantage: Legend.

Ongoing cost
Servicing a Legend is, relatively speaking, easier and faster so if there was any justice in this world it would be cheaper than the M1. You'll have to check with your local shops to find out, however. M1 kits aren't covered by the warranty so you'll have that added cost and don't forget to include the eye-popping expense of replacing an ounce of Christo-Lube in the M1 first stage ambient chamber at each service. Advantage: Legend.

Overall
If performance counts for more than price and you aren't a regular cold-water diver, I'd opt for the M1. If you're price sensitive or dive in cold-water, I'd opt for the Legend. As always, YRMV.

Unless you are diving in really cold water <40F or in really silty water IMHO having an environmentally sealed reg is a PITA that costs you $25 in cristo-lube every couple of years. That said I have M1 first stages paired with Z2 secondaries that get used as deco regs. The M1 second stages are paired with what are basically Z2X/B2 first stages.

Many people like the M1 second stage because the exhaust ports are a bit wider than on the B2/Z2 and the front cover is easy to remove (the cave ring makes it even easier). Which is why ours are swapped. But for the most part I think the Z2 is just as good of a reg and is good valve especially now that they sell the Z2 with a swivel turret on the first stage.

BTW parts kits are $20-$25 for atomics. So if comparing yearly or every two years or whatever it is a wash. Or you could just do like one person does. He just skips everything and buys new regs every 5-6 years.

Of the M1 enthusiasts here, what are you using for your octopus? ...which model regulator?

Of the M1 enthusiasts here, what are you using for your octopus? ...which model regulator?

Another M1. If I'm sharing air, the last thing I want to do is wonder if my alternate is going to give me problems.

Terry

I'm using a Z2 as my Octo for my M1 ..just didn't see the need for the extra cost to buy the M1 octo as the Z2 will breath the same ....

I'm newesh in the gear purchasing as well as diving so keep that in mind. Also dive only warm, not particularly deep or tech type.
I debated between Atomic B2 and Legend LX with no opportunity to test either. Choose the Atomic and loved it with first breath, comfort is a major factor for me and forget it is there. Have had occasion since to use the Legend and compared to my Atomic was more comfortable than I expected. A bit hard to confirm w/o direct from one to the other but seemed slightly stiffer breathing when deep. I'll choose a dry over wet, the Legend noticeably wetter and enough upside down I didn't want to continue testing that.

If I was given a Legend I wouldn't be in any hurry to unload it, be pretty happy in fact.
I've considered purchasing another reg and if I was pinching the pennies and seeking a backup I'd look further but 1st thought is always Atomic.

I'm newesh in the gear purchasing as well as diving so keep that in mind. Also dive only warm, not particularly deep or tech type.
I debated between Atomic B2 and Legend LX with no opportunity to test either. Choose the Atomic and loved it with first breath, comfort is a major factor for me and forget it is there. Have had occasion since to use the Legend and compared to my Atomic was more comfortable than I expected. A bit hard to confirm w/o direct from one to the other but seemed slightly stiffer breathing when deep. I'll choose a dry over wet, the Legend noticeably wetter and enough upside down I didn't want to continue testing that.

If I was given a Legend I wouldn't be in any hurry to unload it, be pretty happy in fact.
I've considered purchasing another reg and if I was pinching the pennies and seeking a backup I'd look further but 1st thought is always Atomic.

I dove both the Atomic B2 and the Aqualung Legend LX. (I own a Legend LX).

both are great performing regs. I would dive either as a primary reg, although between the two, I liked the Legend a little better. (just a personal preference I guess).

But I've never experienced my Legend as "breathing wet". I'm betting the one you have is not serviced/adjusted properly. This can be fixed.... :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom