atomic or apollo split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apollo Bio-fin pros are the ones you want - I've used the Atomic a few times (admittedly this was almost five years ago) and found them heavy, stiff, and just not even close in term of performance.

I love my Apollo XT (stiffer than the black ones). Apollos are the fastest fins.
They don't cause thigh or ankle fatigue and I can catch up to anyone!
I find them very manuverable: slow, fast, stop, turn, backwards, rotate, etc.
I found springs for about $30. The normal straps are fine, but the springs a) won't break and b) have less drag.

I love my Apollo Bio-fins and don't think I will ever use another fin again.

The Apollo bio fins are great. Spring straps are a nice-to-have but definitely not essential.

Ok if you are completely ignorant when it comes to DIY stuff, how can I get springs on my fins? Is there a spring that would just fit into the plastic buckle thingie?

Just had a freind that is a tech diver tell me that he did not like the Apollo's and only used them out in Monterey because they were no good in current///He told to stick to a big fin like the Mares Racer. I seem to suck air so I thought the split fin would give me more air time. ??????Thoughts on this comment??

From a new diver's perspective:I ended up choosing the Atomics even though it took some getting used to their length on the boat and walking down the slope on shore dives. Once submerged they're great and stiff enough to frog kick,helicopter, etc. They will take a lot of diving to get used to-to the point where I'm not thinking about them. I felt like the stiff plastic blade portion was stiffer than the bios I'd tried on which felt to me more like a traditional paddle fin than the bios in use -which was the appeal for me.
The shortness of the bios did attract me though. I've only got in 20 dives so I'm not the most experienced diver but I'm starting to really like the Atomics. They're lighter to carry if that matters to you.

I was a little distressed that the rubber rail portion got chewed up a bit, rather quickly from rocks and barnacles so the bios/rubber may be more durable cosmetically. Guess I'll just take 'em off sooner than later.

I recommend trying them both. I may still get a pair of black/stiff bios sometime down the road but I'm happy with the Atomics.

Trinigordo:
Ok if you are completely ignorant when it comes to DIY stuff, how can I get springs on my fins? Is there a spring that would just fit into the plastic buckle thingie?

There are a number of spring straps out there that will retro fit your fins for about $30-40 per set of fins. No sure what kind of fins you have but chances are very good that any of these will work for you and installing them could be done by any 5 year old. It's really that easy. What fins do you have?

Here are some that I have used and they work great.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=40968&Template=CONVERT240CONVRT

I am sure Scubatoys has them also so give Larry a call there. www.scubatoys.com

There is very little information about the advantages of one fin type over another. One study showed that the preferred fin was the one that the subjects had the most previous experience with. Consequently, selection of fins, in contrast to other diving equipment like regs and BCs, tends to be a highly individual and experience-based decision. Also, people are affected (whether they know it or not) by marketing hype. "Paying more" doesn't always mean you're "getting something better," especially with dive equipment. In the end, comfort, fit and how it works for you will be the determining factors as to "what is best," and it's best to try these things out prior. Is that always possible? No, because LDS wants you to buy one thing, and if you don't like it you have to go back for something else. Also, it's improbable that LDS has enough financial wherewithall to maintain sets of equipment just for people "to try" (in all fairness). My overriding principle about dive equipment? Keep it Simple Stupid (KISS)...Split fins aren't going to "give you more air time," nor are they (that much) "worse in currents." There really is no way to tell what are the "fastest fins" because everyone is different..."spring straps" are only another excuse to spend money on some other useless thing (IMHO) - I have the same straps on my original issue Avanti Quattros (and see these fins more often than any other type of fin on dive instructors, if that means anything), and they are doing just fine, thank you very much...I see no reason why anyone would need to spend another $30-$40 on springs...or $50 more (or more) on split fins...

laserdoc:
Just had a freind that is a tech diver tell me that he did not like the Apollo's and only used them out in Monterey because they were no good in current///He told to stick to a big fin like the Mares Racer. I seem to suck air so I thought the split fin would give me more air time. ??????Thoughts on this comment??

My thought is that comment makes zero sense. I run into this question a lot - so I wrote a whole page on it. Try this: http://scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom