atomic or apollo split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you should try both fins in the water and decide for yourself what you prefer. I know a lot of divers who love the splits and an equal number who hate them. You simply cannot make an educated decision about what fins are best for YOU by listening to other folk's experiences. Buying gear is an extremely personal decision and you have to approach it as an individual with different needs.

For example, I went to my LDS to borrow a pair of Jets to try in the pool. The shop manager warned me that they might feel like bricks on the ends of my legs and may give me cramps, so to really test them out prior to buying. I swam with them for over 25 minutes in the pool using different strokes and totally fell in love with these fins. They are absolutely perfect for me. So, I went back to the shop to buy them. There's this other customer there who sees me with them and immediately begins talking about the time he tried them and how he got leg cramps within 5 minutes, so went with the Twin Jets instead, which he loves. Then I posted my experience on this board, and got similar responses from folks that the Jets made them cramp up. I cringe to think that had I listened to the cramping stories and took them for gospel that I wouldn't now have my Jets....

Pick some fins, try them in the water, and decide which ones YOU like, then buy them and go dive!! :D

need more crap too Larry

I need to find the right combination of clips/retractors/or whatevers to handle my octo and my console.

The apollos were the first fin I bought after getting certified and they worked great for me from the start. On my 30th dive or so the DM was watching my buddy and I in an OK current- he said later I should take care because with the apollos since I was leaving my buddy in the dust. Am using the rubber straps like steel springs now- e.g. just pulling them on and off. Have only done about 50 dives that way- so far no sign of wear. Know that one day I should bite the bullet and get steel springs but recommend start as is and then upgrade to steel straps unless you can get a great discount buying them together.

Larry - I agree with your comments regarding the splits. I dive in NJ where we have significant currents. The spilts peform magnificently - way better than my turtles.

As a physicist, I feel obliged to remark that your comments regarding the "old guy" and "relativity" are not quite on the mark!

I agree that you should try them in water for yourself because it is
kind of a personal thing. I was lucky enough
to be local to ScubaToys and Larry scrounged up about 8 different fins for
me to try. After about an hour in the pool, I picked the Apollo Bio-Fins.
For me, I equate the whole Split vs No split fin argument kind of like
comparing engines. Which is better a V8 or a turbo 4? Both have advantages
and disavantages. I noticed that the splits took a bit longer (maybe an extra kick or so)
to get up to speed, but once there, it seemed like alot less effort to maintain speed.
For me in the end I picked the Apollo splits because of comfort in the water.
Also, their size and shape seemed to make them easier to pack than some of the others

On the spring straps, one thing to consider is how the strap actually fits.
The straps that Apollo supplies IMHO could be better. The way they
are molded, the finger pull lays down against your heel and has a tendency
to rub on your achilles tendon. There is also a rough patch where the strap
contacts your heel. Good for gripping but if the strap rides up and
if you wear low cut booties it can rub you enough to actually break the skin.
This was a BIG issue for my wife. Wasn't an issue for me, since I had taller booties.

If you look at the spring straps - all makes/brands I've looked at - the finger
pull (if it has one) is perpendicular to the strap (as it should be in my opinion) and sticks
out away from your heel rather than laydown against it.
This not only makes it easier to grab for don/doff'ing the fins but it will never
rub against your heel.
Personally, while I didn't have any real issues with the standard straps,
I really like the spring straps. I think they feel better on my heel and are
slightly easier to don/doff than the original straps.

Again, I'd recommend trying them out first if you can.

--- bill

Go to Liesure pro..type in fins straps...I have a pair and love them

tj is right about the fin straps. best $40 i ever spent. fins...apollos seem to be higher rated but i like my twin-jets.

Back
Top Bottom