atomic or aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooba doo

Registered
Reaction score
ok, i know things like this has been gone over a thousand times before. im up in the air over the atomic aquatics b2 reg, or the aqualung legend lx supreme. i like both, havent heard anything bad about either, but my main concern is service availability. i know an aqualung can be serviced just about anywhere i go, but i havent heard much about atomics service. any help here is appreciated.

Hey Scuba,
I have the B-2 and love the performance. As far as service - the B-2 only requires 2 year service intervals. Unless you dive 52 weeks a year, it should be no major issue to send it to the factory for truly expert i.e. they made it, repair. Also several of my buddies who dive with Atomic had teh factory automatically replace abrased trim rings and some other little nick nacks at no charge. Personally, I don't care what reg it is, I would want the factory to repair it. They have a lot more liability exposure and as such, one would assume more stringent quality control.

1fastcat:
... Unless you dive 52 weeks a year, it should be no major issue to send it to the factory for truly expert i.e. they made it, repair. Also several of my buddies who dive with Atomic had teh factory automatically replace abrased trim rings and some other little nick nacks at no charge. Personally, I don't care what reg it is, I would want the factory to repair it. They have a lot more liability exposure and as such, one would assume more stringent quality control.
Interesting point of view. I've never really heard of folks sending their regs back to the manufacturer for routine overhauls. Anyone else around here do that?

DivesWithTurtles:
Interesting point of view. I've never really heard of folks sending their regs back to the manufacturer for routine overhauls. Anyone else around here do that?
Yes.

All the best, James

I agree with 1fastcat! After the hack service job that one defunct LDS did on 3 of my ScubaPro MK25/S600 regulators (which by the way I no longer own), I plan to send my Atomics to the mfg for overhaul. I have three M1s, so I never have to send one to a local shop when on vacation. If one were to develope a problem while on vacation I would put it away until I get home and use another.

Question: What do you call the guy who graduates last in his regulator repair class?

Answer: A repair tech!

Is this the guy you want working on your life support? Do you know how the tech at your LDS did in school? If I were permitted, I would go to Atomics regulator repair school, learn how to service my own regs, and then invest in the tools to service them myself. Not because I am cheap, because my life depends on it. Since the scuba mfg/dive shop business model does not permit this I'll opt for the factory.

Disclaimer: This is not to insult the many fine techs working at LDS around the world, it's just getting tougher to tell who you are as opposed to the hacks, and the stakes are too high to be wrong. Rant over...

I have both a B1 and a B2 and have never had a problem with getting either of them serviced locally. Infact in my area more shops carry Atomic then Aqual.ung

How long does it take to get your regs back from the factory? It took 2 weeks to get mine back from my LDS.

The last time: out Friday, back Thursday. UPS 2-day both ways.

All the best, james

Back
Top Bottom