Atomic SS1 Stainless v. Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at the Atomic SS1 inflator/secondary. Is there any really good reason to pay almost double the price and get the titanium version, or will I be kicking myself down the road for not spending a little more money? Your thoughts.

I don't see the added value in a titanium reg, especially given its price.

(very happy with my plastic Apeks ATX-50's...)

The Mighty Thor:
I am looking at the Atomic SS1 inflator/secondary. Is there any really good reason to pay almost double the price and get the titanium version, or will I be kicking myself down the road for not spending a little more money? Your thoughts.

No. Besides, you'll just end up having to offset the loss of weight in the reg with added weight on your belt.

False economies.

In my humble opinion, it just smacks of standing on a dive boat and shouting out, "Hey, look at me!!! I've got more money than I have intelligence!".

But that's just my OPINION.

Can I affor Ti, yes. Will I buy it, no.

the K

Got money to waste? Buy one. It doesn't work any better or last any longer.
Great piece of equiptment in S/S

In theory the titanium version might last longer due to its imperviousness to corrosion, but the stainless steel version, especially if well maintained, would probably last for centuries, so the lifespan issue is practically irrelevant. The real issue is weight. For those who travel to distant, exotic locales where weight must be kept down as much as possible, titanium clearly has an advantage. If reducing weight isn't an issue, the titanium version offers little advantage over the stainless model.

Sadamune

The Mighty Thor:
I am looking at the Atomic SS1 inhalator/secondary. Is there any really good reason to pay almost double the price and get the titanium version, or will I be kicking myself down the road for not spending a little more money? Your thoughts.

Stick with the non-titanium version of the SS1. Use the difference in cost to do more diving.

My family owns 3 SS1s and none of them are titanium. The regular SS1s work very well.

If you like the gray color scheme simply buy the gray color kit.

The Kraken:
No. Besides, you'll just end up having to offset the loss of weight in the reg with added weight on your belt.

False economies.

In my humble opinion, it just smacks of standing on a dive boat and shouting out, "Hey, look at me!!! I've got more money than I have intelligence!".

the K

I have nothing to add to that.

The Kraken:

False economies.

the K

Well put Kraken. This post should be a Sticky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom