Atomic T3 Regulator - Still worth the money in 2018?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original piston would be SS not Ti. Regarding the cost to change to a monel piston. I would just call it ~$70 for the cost of the piston and do it during a regularly scheduled/needed maintenance. I would not do it otherwise because it would be just a waste of time and money.

And if you decide to swap out the pistons send me a note as I would buy the SS pistons from ya.

Sure, if I decide to upgrade any of them upon next servicing I'd be happy to sell the used SS ones.

I have heart of story. The diver lost his reg for deco bottle due to oxygen fire on the o-ring. Instead of doing his 20ft stop with back gas, he took off the right post under water and use it for on his 100% bottle. Not sure this is the kind of case is good enough of reason to not use Ti reg for back gas tho. Having that said, why would you want to use a pair for back gas to start with? aside from too much disposable income?

They are a lot lighter than either my brass/chrome plated first stages. Less weight at the manifold end is always desirable, especially when I have short HP100 doubles. My regs, my cannister light and my computer are in my carry-on, when I travel. Nice to have less weight. Of course, Ti regulators come at a premium. It helps when you're a DM at the LDS to mitigate the cost. As you said, it requires lots of disposable income, none of which I would part to pay for a Ti regulator at MSRP. In the end was it a bit of splurge on my part, absolutely.

They are a lot lighter than either my brass/chrome plated first stages.

Hmm, it depends on your definition of “a lot”. I have a T2x equivalent in yoke and M1 first stages in front me on kitchen scale. T2x is 15.5oz. M1 is 1lb-6oz. Total weight saving is 6.5oz for each first stage. In back mount double, that is 13oz saving. From practical point of view, it should hardly make a difference IMO.

Having that said, the Ti Metal color and shade do look sexy.

Hi i currently have a b2 atomic that I have used for about 40 dives . I just learned by froend is selling his old t3 which he just had serviced. His t3 is about 3 years old. Is it worth the upgrade if the diff to upgrade is about $400. (Assuming I get rid of my b2) So almost new b2 vs old t3 that has been serviced for $300 more .. much appreciated for any sagely advice . Thanks !

Hi i currently have a b2 atomic that I have used for about 40 dives . I just learned by froend is selling his old t3 which he just had serviced. His t3 is about 3 years old. Is it worth the upgrade if the diff to upgrade is about $400. (Assuming I get rid of my b2) So almost new b2 vs old t3 that has been serviced for $300 more .. much appreciated for any sagely advice . Thanks !
I love my T3, but other than it being a little lighter, you will not really gain any functional advantage by moving from your B2 - the T3 will breathe identically to your B2. I’d spend the $400 on something else.

Back
Top Bottom