Atomic Z2 or ? Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've purchased several Atomics over the last couple of years and absolutely love the way they breathe. I've had them all serviced by the guys at Scubatoys. They do a great job and I've always gotten them back within 7 - 10 days. After having poor service done at my local LDS's (which I'm sure isn't representative of all LDS's), I'm glad to have found one, in Scubatoys, that I can rely on.

Seems like I read somewhere you can send regs back to Atomic for service. Is that true? Redrover, I checked Scuba Toys site and they don't list the Z2. Neither does LeisurePro. It used to be there, but it's gone. As far as trying regs from the LDS, a pool would be my only option, and it would probably be with rental units. I wouldn't be able to try out anything Atomic.
I meant servicing. If I was going to send my reg somewhere ScubaToys would be my choice.
Many people feel other manufactures have just as good products or the differences are only slight. If the servicing issue is a major concern for you why not check out and dive what is available locally where you’re comfortable getting it serviced? Just because it’s rental doesn’t change how it works. One big issue for me was mouth and jaw comfort and without diving it, how would I know? A pool is better than not at all.

Atomic Aquatics Regulator Feature Comparison Chart

You should look at the LDS just because they do not sell the Atomic they may service them. Most Technicians are certified for more that they shop sells. It is allways better to own your own Reg but you should try before you buy.
You will enjoy it diving more with your own reg

Most technicians can service regulators, but if the LDS is NOT a dealer, that means they cannot get parts. So, it is important to take your Atomic reg to an Atomic dealer for service. All warrenty work must be done at an Atomic dealer. The last thing you need is someone putting in parts that do not belong in that regulator.

The 2 year servicing is only on the first stage. You should still get your 2nd stage and octo serviced annually.

No mater how much you dive, you will appreciate the Z2. I only own Atomic, and believe in them so much, that I have them exclusively in my rental fleet.

The 2 year servicing is only on the first stage. You should still get your 2nd stage and octo serviced annually.

The owners manual say 2yrs or 300 dives, with a recommended annual safety inspection. Isn't the whole point of the seat saving orifice to keep the 2nd stages in tune for longer?

I'm not a dealer, I'm just reading the manual. I'm curious to know if your real world experience is different from what Atomic says.

Rich

How do I know if a reg has the "newer jet piston"? Also, I don't see many *2 regs on ebay, but there are more *1's. Is there much difference between say a B1 & B2?

The first stages are exactly the same in the B1, B2, Z1, and Z2. (Except for the swivel turrets on the swivel-less Z*'s, of course. But they are actually interchangeable parts.)
The B1 and Z1's started out with non-Jet pistons but had them come standard mid-run. They can be installed in the older regs, and I think the upgrade kit was ~$80.
You can tell the non-Jet piston models by the rubber trim part at the HP seat cap end. The non-Jet ones have donut shaped rubber trim that exposes the HP cap (at the opposite end from the turret) whereas rubber trim piece on the ones with Jet pistons mostly cover the HP cap.

The Jet piston is said to solve an IP creep issue that happens occasionally before service is due when used a lot with HP tanks, but many people had no problems with the old piston. (I think my first B1 had the issues before I got it upgraded.)
It also is said to increase flow, but I doubt it really makes any real world difference.

The B1 and B2 second stages do have some differences, like the wider exhaust tee, (which is also interchangeable, if you like the B2 tee better, you can put it on a B1, and I think it was several dollars or some such) and I hear the newest B2 and Z2's have a slightly different case geometry that improves breathing effort. I'm sure you can also get this new casing for not too much, (I'm guessing the titanium air barrel, lever, spring, etc. are the expensive parts) but I don't really feel the need to upgrade, and all my Atomics have the older second stage body.

In summary, if you want the B2, then you will most probably be quite happy with a B1. It's 95% the exact same regulator. If you are buying used, IMO the only reason to get a B2 at the current premium is for the second stage swivel IF you want it, as it might be cheaper to get it together. But then again you might be able to get the swivel for real cheap too, as I see a lot of people going long hose trying to get rid of their now superfluous swivel hoses. :wink:

Thanx for the info. Weighing various pros & cons, I've expanded my options to any of the later Atomics, SP MK25/S600 & Legend LX. Still lean towards the Atomic partially because of the AFC and swivels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom