Attaching cylinders to a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok thanks guys for all the valuable assistance, appreciate all the advice very much. Just had the new wing turn up today so now keen to set it up correctly.

Druid, Thanks for the advice on creating access through the wing. The back plate has a set of slots (only) for single tank use so I may cut them out in the manner you describe. How stable is it using web bands onto a backplate for a single, or do I need an adapter plate as well to stabalise it all?

Sea Cobra, Seen side mounts and they dont float my boat. Just a preference I guess, never used them. I actually prefer a single and slings, but thats only because thats what I have used to date. Using twin independants is something new for me as well.

Wolfie, the 50% deco cylinder is always left under the boat at 6-10m as an emergency reserve, I have no intention of carrying it with me, and also the dive profile doesnt depend on it. Usually we use it as insurance only above what is needed. I carry all the gas I need but have it there just in case Murphy strikes (as he/she does). To date I have been using air all the way, which becomes at least "idiot proof" even if the stops are longer. I use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle which I find helps when it all goes pear shaped. I am more into just enjoying the dive and my time under the water rather than getting my rocks off on multiple gases and being really techo. Maybe when I get more experience I can play further but I prefer to build up slowly.

Colliam7, Thank you for your very detailed response. I appreciate the information. Yes the T50 was a very special price and one I couldnt resist. Even if in the longer term I move on to something else, its a cheap way to get into technical diving which allows me to then decide what I really need to go futher. With regard to weight, additional to the reduced band weight is the weight of the manifold which wont be used. Anyway this is all a bit of an experiment and a learning curve for me and as I progress I am sure some things will become clearer (but which may already be blindly obvious to you all). I would think a manifold with soft bands would be very risky regarding manifold failures and not one to consider, hence independants.

Now from everyones experience, are ss bands and manifolds readily available at most dive sites. From what I have gleened so far, they arent at the Coolidge, and while I didnt see them at Truk, previous posts would suggest they are available. At Truk I used a 15 litre single and 10 litre sling. At Coolidge they apparently only have 11 litre singles and 8 litre slings, so my options are a little more limited and thus the preference for twin independants as it suggests they have no manifold systems set up. Any other thoughts on other popular wreck dive sites? If they have the setups I would be more comfortable with twin manifold.

Also any ideas on holding gear. I am already missing my BCD pockets so will have to reorganise myself. In trying the wing on I feel very naked indeed. What style knife do you guys recommend, currently I have 2, a pocket folding type and a standard bolt on to BCD type? Also have a waterproof container with EPIRB and not sure where I am going to put that now? Safety sausage and reels can clip on to D rings along with torches. Have a few dye tubes so will have to use a pocket on the webbing I guess? My paranoia with the EPIRB and dye markers is from being left behind, not something I wish to have repeated ever.

Yes the T50 was a very special price and one I couldnt resist. Even if in the longer term I move on to something else, its a cheap way to get into technical diving which allows me to then decide what I really need to go futher.
The Adreno package is a GREAT deal - nothing wrong with it.
With regard to weight, additional to the reduced band weight is the weight of the manifold which wont be used. Anyway this is all a bit of an experiment and a learning curve for me and as I progress I am sure some things will become clearer (but which may already be blindly obvious to you all). I would think a manifold with soft bands would be very risky regarding manifold failures and not one to consider, hence independants.
Right. That (independent double cylinders) was assumed - you would NOT use soft / travel bands with a manifolded rig. Therefore, my comment was intended to suggest that you won't gain a lot by going with soft (woven) bands, instead of stainless steel - manifold weight isn't an issue. If youi go SS, you can also use them later on if you decide to pursue setting up manifolded double cylinders.
Now from everyones experience, are ss bands and manifolds readily available at most dive sites.
NO. In fact they are not commonly encountered. That is changing (increasing) a bit, but, the number of destination sites where you can rent some manifolded doubles is still limited. Because of that, independent back-mount double cylinders, AND sidemount diving, is quite popular.
Seen side mounts and they dont float my boat. Just a preference I guess, never used them. I actually prefer a single and slings, but thats only because thats what I have used to date. Using twin independants is something new for me as well.
I am not a seer, and make no attempt to predict the future. But, you might want to at least try SM. I have back-mounted for almost 10 years, and still do regularly. I started sidemounting 4-5 years ago and the difference is conspicuous. SM is far more versatile for doing exactly what you are proposing to do - travel and dive two cylinders, the configuration is remarkably stable in the water, and once you try it . . . you might have a different view.
Also any ideas on holding gear. I am already missing my BCD pockets so will have to reorganise myself. In trying the wing on I feel very naked indeed. What style knife do you guys recommend, currently I have 2, a pocket folding type and a standard bolt on to BCD type? Also have a waterproof container with EPIRB and not sure where I am going to put that now?
Halcyon sells a nice, large pocket which you can slip on your waist strap. Dive Rite makes a (slightly smaller) pocket - probably others do as well. I carry EMT shears in a holster, threaded on my right waist strap, and a 1 " folding knife, clipped to a double ender, which is clipped inside the pocket.

Druid, Thanks for the advice on creating access through the wing. The back plate has a set of slots (only) for single tank use so I may cut them out in the manner you describe. How stable is it using web bands onto a backplate for a single, or do I need an adapter plate as well to stabalise it all?

Sorry for the delayed response. Stability depends on the profile of the backplate, on some backplates the cylinder will sit in a groove which is pretty stable but on many backplates the cylinder sits against a flat and is inclined to roll about a bit. I have some travel single tank adaptors like these, but in aluminium
travel.adapter-01.png
The AP Valves bands can be adapted so they bolt to a backplate using s/s studs in the normal way, see here but I have no personal experience of this mod. If you're not up to the DIY, there's a couple of very nice adaptors here, I think the Independent Twinset Adaptor (4th item down) is probably the best solution to your problem, though it will probably cost more than your wing by the time you add P&P :(

twinsetadaptors.jpg

Another alternative method is to use a STA the wrong way round and thread the AP bands through the slots.

Thanks guys this information is great will certainly help me in getting something sorted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom