Attaching fins to BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a lot of shore diving and never thought of attaching my fins to my BC. I have one in each hand, holding on to the ss spring strap, at the right time (depth, and between sets) I make the number 4 one leg a time and go - just a few seconds. not sure what the advantage is to attaching fins to the BC, seem like it just makes it more complicated.

note: if you're a DM/instructor helping students then maybe, but a special circumstance not just regular shore entry

Necessary when carrying a camera

I do a lot of shore diving and never thought of attaching my fins to my BC. I have one in each hand, holding on to the ss spring strap, at the right time (depth, and between sets) I make the number 4 one leg a time and go - just a few seconds. not sure what the advantage is to attaching fins to the BC, seem like it just makes it more complicated.

note: if you're a DM/instructor helping students then maybe, but a special circumstance not just regular shore entry

I do a lot of entries that involve climbing over large rocks...it's very useful to have both hands free if you need to use them for balance. It's also very handy to not drop a fin down between the boulders!

IMG_0726.jpgIMG_0728.jpg
I made this with a short piece of stainless steel rod and fishing leader.

Just take a silicon snorkel keeper and loop it into itself around the fin strap loop. You now have a little o-ring/loop to either slip your finger into when carrying them, or hooking to a small carabineer, or even helps you find the strap loop when you doff or don your fins in the water.

Thanks for that. This one is a lot like what the diver I saw had made omn his own. Not sure on the attachment of this one to the fin strap. Looks like it must be velcro.

ft002_big.gif

I have one of those I picked up at a scuba swap meet not too long ago. Never could quite figure out what to use it for. :D

That's one style, here's another. They're called fin keepers - many of the online sites sell some variation of one:
Amazon.com: Scuba Diving BC Fin and Mask Keeper with Quick Release Loop: Sports & Outdoors
Trident Scuba Mask and Fins Keeper at Divers Direct

View attachment 171223

I like this idea. I just bought two, one for my wife and one for me. Should be here next week in time for our next dive weekend. :cheers:

I would use an XL carabiner for this. It is only good for 150lbs but that is more then you need to do this job.

Workforce HangAlls Carabiner-51121 at The Home Depot

I tried a smaller version of that carabiner and ended loosing my ditty bag because the gate opened up somehow. Luckily, I found it on the way back to shore. I would do like Jim suggested if I was going to use a carabiner again and get the locking type.

What's "550 cord" ?

Commonly known as paracord. I buy it from Amazon, but it is similar to a tiny climbing rope and can be purchased at such places as REI. Any 1/4" rope works though, and I prefer it to be a little thicker for cold water gloves.

My only use for paracord is to get my rope into the tree, while felling leaning trees. Spurs for everything else.

That sure is a long loop of cord they use there.

They're DIR divers, one end has to connect to the left shoulder d-ring and the other end has to connect to left hip D-ring. No other variation on this should be remotely considered. Also the type of rope and the manner in which the knot is tied are extremely important details that are essential for your safety :D :D

j/k. Actually, the few divers around here that use a clip for their fins use something very similar.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom