Attaching fins to BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Commonly known as paracord. I buy it from Amazon, but it is similar to a tiny climbing rope and can be purchased at such places as REI. Any 1/4" rope works though, and I prefer it to be a little thicker for cold water gloves.

My only use for paracord is to get my rope into the tree, while felling leaning trees. Spurs for everything else.
This is a great thread. I just ordered some paracord and bolt snaps to create some fasteners.

Simple screwgate caribiner for <$10 at REI clipped to my chest or hip D-ring, works great. I keep several of them attached to my hip D rings to use for attaching lift bags to recoverable items. Only issue for the ocean divers is the body is AL but the springs and pins are steel and corrode quickly if not soaked after every dive.

I think it's a great idea...that's when they get lost....you want them in front with easy release too.

I use a Jumbo Aluminum Hook from Harbor Freight. Tough to beat at $1.50 a crack. If you don't want/can't soak them after a dive, try some WD-40.

The one I use is a variation on the others:
View attachment 171239

I use this one because I don't have to attach anything to my actual fins, it's super easy to work with gloves on, and the clip is brass (vs. the plastic attachment clips on others) and less likely to break. The only place I've been able to find them in this particular style is on ebay.

My Hubby/dive buddy has made us something very similar to this. It is always attached to the D ring on our shoulder strap. We do a heap of shore dives and the entry/exit over rock and boulders. Even when we exit on sand the surf conditions may make it awkward. We hike to have our hands free. Also we often have long walks over rock platforms to get to the water, stairs to climb and steep slopes. We find that using the chest strap for the fins blocks your view for safe navigating across difficult surfaces.

It also helps keep gear together on boat dives. We haven't had to go chasing fins since we started using these.

I have used a double ender, tie a strong cord to have a loop in either end, then put the double ender through the two loops on one and and the other end of the (double ender) through a D ring (your preference).

As to the comment about busting standards (what standards?) it is customary in many areas to walk into the water without fins, especially where there is significant surf, rock entrances and a steep shore line. Such as parts of California where the OP lives.

N

I use 2 large double enders. One for my fins and one for my mask. When possible I don't even wear my BC and tank when entering or exiting through the surf. I just pump up my BC till it floats and tow everything along with me till I'm through the rough part. Here in NC the slope is pretty shallow so the water is usually only waist to chest deep when you get past the breakers. I find that donning and doffing my gear past the breakers is much easier than trying to get up with your gear on after being knocked down by the surf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom