attaching hoses, can I do this or LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Maybe we should change the spec from Christolube to astroglide...

As a last resort you could always spit on it, the oring that is. :wink:
Any lubrification is better than none.

The lubrication of o-rings on non-movable connections like reg hoses, tank valve/tank, camera housings etc is "just enough" to keep 'em from binding and crimping during that little bit of movement that occurs between contact and final torquing/positioning. I like to describe it as "just shiny." The method I use to get there is to take a tiny - and I do mean tiny - bit of the appropriate lubricant and rub it between my (clean) fingers (for my oxygen bottle I even use powder-free surgical gloves), then rub the o-ring between my fingers, putting a shine on it but no excess lube.
A $30 tube of Christo-Lube will last a long, long time :)
Rick

As far as giving out freebies goes, what hasn't been explicitly pointed out is that there is more than one type of customer, and each type has different value to the store and will respond differently to good service. They have all been used in examples so far in this thread. There may be more, but these are the ones I can think of:

Type 1: the cheapskate. Wants everything free or as cheaply as possible. May never show up in your store again, little or no sense of loyalty. Doing favors for these people will probably get you nowhere, since they come in expecting it from you.

Type 2: the newbie. Doesn't have any loyalties yet. Maybe they just started diving, maybe they just moved into the area. They will easily develop loyalties if someone is consistently nice to him/her. I think people are most interested in making new connections when in this situation, so if you give this person a few freebies, they may very quickly become loyal to your store. It happened to me both with my dive store and with my mechanic, and there are many other testimonials that have already been mentioned here.

Type 3: the disciple. Loyal to your store. There seems to be agreement that being nice to this person is a good idea.

Type 4: the enemy. Already loyal to another store, but happened to enter your store with a specific agenda (e.g., need to buy XXX piece of gear that their own store doesn't sell, or maybe their store is too inconveniently located). I have been guilty of being this person many times, but I never expect anything above and beyond being sold what I'm after. By doing favors for this person there are possible advantages, but don't expect to add this person to your customer base. It may be possible to sell this person something which your store carries and their store does not. They may also come back a year or two later when they need something else, or recommend your store to others (after thier own, of course).

Type 1 I think is rare, especially in this extreme form that I described. Remember, the customer already spent money and time to get to your store and walk in; you might still be able to sell them on an accessory for their regulator you just assembled (retractor, spare mouthpiece, hose wrap, etc.).

There are probable, positive consequences of spending 2 minutes of your time to help out types 2, 3 and 4. If you don't treat the customer well, you'll lose him or her regardless of type (but that hypothetical extreme type 1 probably has nothing to offer anyway). The trick is, though, how do you know what type of customer just walked in your door? Sometimes you don't know, so when in doubt be nice. It costs you very little, should make you feel good at the end of the day, and it has the potential to benefit your business. Of course if the same deadbeat person keeps coming in, not wating to buy anything, and expecting free favors, you should just tell them to get lost.

Ben

There's also the kind that comes in and just wants to talk...
Never buys anything, but just talks...

Back
Top Bottom