Attack of the Killer Canadians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting point Virus makes about it being hotter in Northern Florida than the South. Having lived there two years doing doctoral coursework at Florida State, I can't imagine anywhere more miserable in the summer than Tallahassee. I've spent winters in Iowa, and summers in Florida, and honestly, I can't say which is worse.

AH

As a New Brunswicker, now living in Jacksonville....maybe I can shed a little light on the issue.

Yeah. It's hot. Brutally hot sometimes. Really Really REALLY hot. Like actual burns with blisters from the seatbelt buckle in July hot.

BUT....there's no snow either. Now I'll be the first one to wish for about two weeks of the glorious white stuff, but then I'm back loving the sun and the great weather.

How do you identify a Canadian in Florida? Their first sentence is always - "Wow, nice day today!". After you're here for about a year, you realize that you don't have to say that anymore. It's only in September when you start commenting on the weather and it's always "Get some extra supplies incase that hurricane hits us...."

We treat summer here the same way most Canadians treat winter up north - you go from your airconditioned house to your airconditioned car to your airconditioned office. As opposed to going from your heated house to your heated car to ....you get the idea. (In Canada you have car starters to warm your car up in the winter...here we use it to cool your car down!). My A/C is still on in the house...the cycles are just less than July.

We all "glow", "perspire" or just plain sweat - even the Floridians. Attitudes are different about the heat. You'll adapt. You get used to it. It's like when it rains....you know it's only for a few minutes and it's really gonna come down... It rains harder here, but for a shorter time. Its almost like everything is just more intense.

I don't regret for a minute moving here. We plan to stay as long as we possibly can. Probably until my wifes or my parents become elderly - and we'll probably try and move them down here.... Who knows.

If you want to talk some time, just send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Oh yeah....lastly, you don't need a chainsaw to dive in January here..... =-)

HTH,

Thanks for taking the time to give me some ideas. There is no perfect place, that is for sure. I've researched a few places now.

Most of the Caribbean islands are either extremely expensive or not receptive to foreigners (eg onerous local land owning laws).

I went to see a cave diver friend in the Yucutan in July a couple of years ago and it was hot and humid alright. NO A/C I thought I was going to die that week. But remember, I am a Greek (check my webpage), I grew up with +40C summers (+104F). Those were DRY summers so it wasn't so uncomfortable. If you have A/C on all Summer, what do the electricity bills look like?

I have reached a temporary roadblock as the mortgage broker in Cape Coral says I cannot get a regular mortgage, and all they can offer is +7% rates. The houses themselves look marvelous and much better value than Toronto. But this CC is a fabricated community, maybe not much in the way of culture/neighborhood.

Let's talk about the diving. That is what I am going for anyways.
I talked to the dive shop on Marco Island and they said it was $80-95 for a 2-tank dive ($107-$126 Cdn). That's big bucks - here it is only about $60 Canadian for excellent fresh water wreck diving. So someplace on a canal is definitely important, with close access to good diving. Is it true the viz isn't that great in the Gulf and that the reefs are far offshore? Where are the reefs closest?

I know the Keys have great diving, and the best time of my life was spending a month on Baya Honda. To me Key Largo is the best spot as it is close to the Lower Keys, yet you can go up to Boca Raton for some of that great wreck diving I hear about. Anyone know of a place for sale in Key Largo or closer to Miami (I guess Florida City) and how much is a 2-tank dive around there?

Florida City is kinda rough.The east side of I-95 and A1A are prohibitively hi$ for me .West of that the prices are more reasonable from Kendall up past Palm Beach.They have the closest reefs,shore dives in fact.The temps are moderated by the close proximity of the Gulf Stream.

in hollywood that will get you about 1200-1500 squ feet House for that much in a condo you should be able to find something in broward county.......

Oh, No! MORE french canadiens! Wait I see, whew, you are a Greek living in canada. :D I Suggest anywhere between Brevard and Broward on the east coast. You would be within minutes of good diving and an hour from great diving. When you can get two- three days off a quick road trip to the keys will get you Fantastic Diving. oh course if you want to see all of your fellow countryman Hollywood in Broward county is where the snowbirds finally settle in the winter. The East coast in Northern West Palm through Martin County is expanding with new home sites daily. I can not imagine someone living in the cold. I would never live in the snow region again for anything.

Thanks Orlando Eric. I checked the map. Except for driving to the Keys 20 years ago, I only recall that the Coast goes on and on from Brevard to Broward. I am not sure that even an English Canadian would feel comfortable, not knowing anyone down there. Maybe I should take your advice and go to Hollywood, but is there anyone under 65 there? I know alot of retirees go South.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom