Attacked By Cape Fur Seal! Did we do somthing wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question , did the seal in fact bite your fins?
Doesn't read like it.

Your seals are about the same size as our seal lions. They are BIG! I have had them bark underwater at me a few times underwater, which usually results in lots of bubbles. Never considered it an issue, and usually just ignore them. I don't personally know anyone that has been bitten by a sea lion, and surely no one has mentioned injury occurring. I have been hit hard in my leg by a sea lion in 30 meters of water before though. It hit me hard enough to spin me, and I was carrying 175 lbs of gear. It came back down again and got right in my face to the point where I put my hand on its chest and held it away from my face by 16" or so. Otherwise they are usually just curious and spin around us playing, not usually directly making contact.

The smaller harbor seals we have are very friendly and nibble on divers fins, hoods, and anything else they feel like. Again I have never heard of an injury, but pretty much everyone I know has played with them at some point while diving. Usually they sneak up behind you, and nibble on your fins, disappearing when you turn towards them.

Now I do have marks in my Jet fins from a Sea Otter that decided biting my fin was fun. On the third return I gently flipped him off my fin. They are a protected species, but are known to be aggressive, and often bit floats, sinking them, that dive instructors use when teaching open water classes.

There are tons of video's like the one in this thread. The SoCal sea lions are a little smaller than their Northern counterpart.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/443343-sea-lion-fun.html

They do like to get in your face:

IYFC2.jpg

Galapagos female and pup sea lions seem to have no fear of humans either on land or in the sea. We were explored many times by them whilst snorkeling. The bulls keep their distance and always seem to be on patrol. This bull approached me very closely while barking and blowing bubbles after we got close to his rookery. I was pretty sure he was telling me to get out of his area....so I did.

[video=youtube;bPhg-ZqRSP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPhg-ZqRSP4&list=UUR1JHaErnwOmg_mOAximeMQ&index=3[/video]

Thanks so much for all the comments. Firstly i think you are a lot braver than i am. It was exactly in our face like the pic posted by 3d diver. Have a look at the pic of its jaw to see why i was not keen on it even giving me a nibble. seal_Skull.jpg (stolen from Wiki)

I have asked some local dive operators and will post if there are any recorded bites by seal here. Certainly the spearos here hate them and report numerous attacks. then again they do have dead fish in the vercinity. Once again thanks for the posts. I am taking a broom stick persuder on my next dive there.

I seem to recall a couple years ago there was a female diver who died while diving in Antartica when a seal (sea lion?) bit and removed her mask

I seem to recall a couple years ago there was a female diver who died while diving in Antartica when a seal (sea lion?) bit and removed her mask
There is a HUGE difference between a sea lion and a leopard seal, so lets not confuse them. That is kinda like a leopard shark, and an oceanic white tip.

Leopard Seal Kills Scientist in Antarctica

There is a HUGE difference between a sea lion and a leopard seal, so lets not confuse them. That is kinda like a leopard shark, and an oceanic white tip.

Leopard Seal Kills Scientist in Antarctica

Thanks for the clarification. As a southern east coast diver I know some of the differences but do not immediately make the distinctions.

Back
Top Bottom