Aussie Diving Dec 27th to 2nd Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
well there i was, standing at bare island getting all my gear together for my first dive in a month or so and i noticed that my fin... my blessed and much loved yellow apollo fin was broken :crying:

so... once again - no diving for me :depressed:

a quick text message meant that hubby was able to join Fishy & Petunias so at least he got his new wetsuit wet..... and got to see lots of seahorses :D

i was very eager to leave BI today and although i told them that its because housework was calling me, i got home with a splitting headache and a desperate need for panadol and a nap so feeling much better now! hopefully tomorrow we will get a dive in - fingers crossed!

thanks for letting theo join you for your dive today!

two dives today.... how good is that:eyebrow: Great fill from Almity1 meant a nice relaxing long dive with our small tanks

Found all the seahorses including the little one that is isolated from the rest. I figure there has to be another one close to it somewhere. Now that I have found it for the second time, I will try to convince fish to spend some time hanging around there looking for more:eyebrow:

Now we just have to wait for Almity pics :)

Attachments

• DSC05019 (Large).JPG
    DSC05019 (Large).JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 57
:D A tidge over 3 hours underwater today... Now that is the way to rehydrate and relax!

Found the pygmy pipehorse this time 3 of them.... one is just too small to get really good shots of. I am really pushing my camera to get such tiny stuff. I don't enhance my shots so no point posting the ones of the little one.... unless you know what to look for and where to look you will have trouble seeing it.

Fish discovered this stuff that looks like a spikey cross between sponge and coral changes colour when "stressed" then changes slowly back from white to orange/red. touching it or a current of water stressing it works... can't find it in any of my books. Anyone out there know what it is?

I am sticking in a couple shots with a finger in the field of view so people can get an idea of size of the critters

The baby box fish are for you Sas. They would be the size of your thumbnail.

The leatherjackets are pygmy leatherjackets so quite small as well.

Temps have been weird. Fairly cool for most of the dive then little patches of warm and cold near the end. One fin kick and your temperature change is dramatic..:blinking:

Attachments

• DSC07268 (Large).JPG
    DSC07268 (Large).JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC07272 (Large).JPG
    DSC07272 (Large).JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC07283 (Large).JPG
    DSC07283 (Large).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC07293 (Large).JPG
    DSC07293 (Large).JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC07306 (Large).JPG
    DSC07306 (Large).JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC07316 (Large).JPG
    DSC07316 (Large).JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC07353 (Large).JPG
    DSC07353 (Large).JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC07361 (Large).JPG
    DSC07361 (Large).JPG
    171 KB · Views: 48
YAY, boxfish :) I will upload the vid to youtube later so hopefully someone can ID the weird orange-to-white-sponge thingy for you petunia.

petunias:
Temps have been weird. Fairly cool for most of the dive then little patches of warm and cold near the end. One fin kick and your temperature change is dramatic..

Are you sure you're just not swimming too closely to other members of the p-club?? :shocked2:

Sorry to hear about your fin almitywife. :( Is this a new fin that broke? I remember a while back you had some yellow ones break then too!

well there i was, standing at bare island getting all my gear together for my first dive in a month or so and i noticed that my fin... my blessed and much loved yellow apollo fin was broken :crying:

so... once again - no diving for me :depressed:

a quick text message meant that hubby was able to join Fishy & Petunias so at least he got his new wetsuit wet..... and got to see lots of seahorses :D

i was very eager to leave BI today and although i told them that its because housework was calling me, i got home with a splitting headache and a desperate need for panadol and a nap so feeling much better now! hopefully tomorrow we will get a dive in - fingers crossed!

thanks for letting theo join you for your dive today!

Well Almitywife if you used splits they are already broken so you would't have a problem :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Are you sure you're just not swimming too closely to other members of the p-club?? :shocked2:

:doh:never thought of that... come to think of it... water had a bit of a funny colour to it:mooner: Fish was following me.... so... sorry.... remember I am a charter member:mooner: and I can now do it on the fly:mooner:

i tell ya, split fins are the devils work!!!

today we hiked all the way over to the shire for a dive at Shiprock, a dive that can only be done on slack tide. so we get there and hubby checks the internet and figures out we are an hour too early :shakehead: so we chill for an hour while waiting (he did offer to go home) and it was worth it

lots of nudies we dont see at bare island plus a huge moray out of his hole and enjoying the water and a cute seahorse. only downer is i couldnt find a angler fish,.... one day i'll find one! viz was a nice 15+mtrs and the water was warm and approx 22c

if youre not there early, parking is a total pita and the steep goat track down to the water is a death trap but shiprock has LOTS of colour and is well worth the effort!

Shiprock2_pf.jpg

hopefully hubby will put some pics up in a day or so

i tell ya, split fins are the devils work!!!

today we hiked all the way over to the shire for a dive at Shiprock

You mean "THE SHIRE" actually let an outsider in ... OMG wonders will never cease

You mean "THE SHIRE" actually let an outsider in ... OMG wonders will never cease

:rofl3::rofl3:
oooo remember Luke promised me to take me and dive Shiprock with him:rofl3: when I returned the rental gear at the end of my first trip here?:rofl3: Think there is any chance collecting on that one???:eyebrow:

after our dive we went to a fish shop for a salty lunch and one of the locals walked in shirtless and he had "AUSTRALIAN" tattoo'd across his back. im still trying to figure out the point - maybe the Shire folk like to attack when your back is turn so he was hedging his bets as he didnt look anglo enough i guess :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom