Aussie diving - June 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thinking around 12 degrees, probably the same as the air temperature.
Not looking forward to getting back into my wettie for the night dive, god knows what the air temperature will be then.:(

Wouldn't 12C be a bit optimistic for this time of year?? It's 11C in Port Phillip Bay ATM, I would've thought it would be a bit cooler down there. :idk:

Kudos tho' for diving wet this time of year, you're made of tougher stuff than me!!! :coffee:

Burna, 10C now in the North :wink: I am going to have to get more thermals!

Great pictures from everyone! I love morays :) The Tomi looks like a fun dive too.

I'm HOPING for 12 degrees but you're right I am being optimistic.
If I THINK 12 maybe it'll be 12.:D The power of positive thinking.
It's my 1st dive on the Troy D wreck off Triabunna and only my 2nd wreck dive in total. The 1st was on the SS Nord. This one's a lot shallower, 25m, so bottom time should be longer.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I am back! Sure looks like I missed a lot here. Great to see so many new folks in here! I love the pics... Sas the cave shots are awesome..
I think I recognize some spots there :giggle:

While I was away I left my fins for a few dive buddies to try. I think I should try for a finders fee.. two of them bought new fins.. now I have to figure out how to convince them to let me decorate them:hm:

Fish and I got out for a dive today. First dive for me since Calif diving! The boat dives at Catalina Island were interesting. I enjoyed the Kelp forest but it wasn't quite what I expected. All the talk about Claustrophobia and entanglement hazzards and so on:idk: 'suppose you could get yourself in trouble if you were really silly. I actually deliberately tangled myself in the kelp to see how hard it would be to get out... I think you would really have to panic to get into any trouble. Was easy to untangle myself.
th_DSC00796.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

th_DSC00744.jpg

The "surf entries" were much more interesting. I haven't had people pass me on surfboards before while I was entering a dive site! By the Third Surf entry I kinda had things worked out. The first one had me rolling around on the sand like a beached whale :giggle: When I got underwater my computer had so much sand crammed under the cover I couldn't see it. I am sure my buddies thought I was nuts waving the thing around to get the sand out so I could read it!

I managed to get so much sand in my boot zippers that I had to keep flushing them to be able to get them undone. Whole new set of experiences. Thank goodness I had an awesome buddy and he didn't laugh at me too much!

I did "bring" Sas along
th_DSC00824.jpg
and Burna

Anyway.. it was nice to get back to our home site and check out "the usual subjects".

Attachments

• B12.jpg
    B12.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 50
Here are a couple shots from today at Bare Island
Crimson Banded Wrasse
473-970C-.jpg

473-983.jpg

473-906.jpg

Weedy amputi
473-915.jpg

Occy with friend
473-940.jpg

It seems positive thinking actually works. 12c off Fossil Cliffs, Maria Island on Saturday. Didn't get to the Troy D due to crap weather. We ran through Mercury Passage where the wreck is and the temp there was 9C. Amazing the difference in just a few nautical miles. As soon as we rounded Ile De Nord the temp came right up.
Warmer than the Nth Island it seems:wink:

It seems positive thinking actually works. 12c off Fossil Cliffs, Maria Island on Saturday. Didn't get to the Troy D due to crap weather. We ran through Mercury Passage where the wreck is and the temp there was 9C. Amazing the difference in just a few nautical miles. As soon as we rounded Ile De Nord the temp came right up.
Warmer than the Nth Island it seems:wink:

Glad you got weather and sea temps you are happy with.. still sounds bloomin cold to me!:cold:

Glad you got weather and sea temps you are happy with.. still sounds bloomin cold to me!:cold:

Happy's probably a bit strong. Pleasantly suprised is probably more like it.
Hope to dive on the SS Nord again in two weeks. At 40m that IS likely to get a bit chilly

Happy's probably a bit strong. Pleasantly suprised is probably more like it.
Hope to dive on the SS Nord again in two weeks. At 40m that IS likely to get a bit chilly

:cold::rofl3: :cold::coffee: maybe you need some Hot chocolate after the dive. We were complaining on the way home that it is "hot Chocolate" season here now:) You are braver than I am. I hate having to dive in a wetsuit never mind a drysuit! The superstretch suits now aren't too bad I guess. I was surprised at the 7 mil Lucky loaned me on my Calif trip but found my 3 mil and sharkskin vest were adequate for my final dive there. I love diving but not sure if I would be dedicated enough to dive if I had to use drysuits and wetsuits year round:shakehead:

It's usually hot soup and Tim Tams between dives.:coffee: Also several layers of clothing over the wetsuit to cut the wind out as the air temperature is often several degrees below the water temperature, especially with wind chill:cold:.
I think after this winter I'll be checking out drysuits. My wife is doing a Discover Scuba Dive in two weeks. Now thats brave.:clapping:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom