Austin area tec training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
Pardon me if this has been thrashed to death already, but it didn't show up in my search. Also, I'm not from Texas, or I'd probably already know. Is there any Austin area dive shop that does good tec training? I'm not actually interested in tec training, but in OW for a relative, and I have noticed a correlation between shops with good tec training, and shops with good rec training.

I could not agree with you more. However, it is primarily our higher level recreational courses that changed quite a bit once we became a technical diving facility. In particular, the advanced course and the deep course changed. We now put more emphasis on dive planning and gas consumption, dsmb deployment at depth while neutrally bouyant (on almost every dive), and maintaining safety / emergency decompression stops, all of which have association with technical diving. We require students to have wetnotes to record and calculate gas consumption and plan gas consumption for dives. We come across many advanced open water level students who have never even deployed their DSMB at depth.

The open water course not so much with one exception. We now have a final exercise where the diver must descend in control without any aids such as a descent line for the CESA and then execute the CESA once neutrally bouyant near but not touching the platform or the bottom. If they descend too slowly or too quickly or touch the platform or the bottom, they fail that iteration. When we started doing that, we were surprised that it took some students several tries before they could complete the entire exercise without error. Once person in particular seemed to know what he was doing on the regular dives, but repeatedly failed the final exercise. He did not get certified.

Pardon me if this has been thrashed to death already, but it didn't show up in my search. Also, I'm not from Texas, or I'd probably already know. Is there any Austin area dive shop that does good tec training? I'm not actually interested in tec training, but in OW for a relative, and I have noticed a correlation between shops with good tec training, and shops with good rec training.
There are a couple of TDI instructors in Austin Search - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI it might be worth an email to them.

Also, I lived in the State Of Jefferson for a short period (about 6 months) Beautiful country up there.

I didn’t realize that the folks in Jefferson considered themselves a completely different state. That is VERY Texas.

I didn’t realize that the folks in Jefferson considered themselves a completely different state. That is VERY Texas.
Ha, TBH, I did not know there was a Jefferson Tx. I was referring to an area in Northern California.

Yes, I apologize, I was a California implant. No longer in Texas though, but cant wait until I visit later this year.

I figured it was a typo. Just poking you with a stick. :wink:

Are you currently in Malaysia? My MIL is from Penang.

late to the party...but we do NAUI tec at Dive shop San Marcos, and assist in bringing instructors out for GUE interested people. I usually assist people in gearing up, practice dives, etc, for both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom