Australia Advice Needed! (new user)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whr2Nxt

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ! I'm new to the site and not sure where to post what questions so forgive me if I'm doing it wrong to start.

I am beginner certified scuba diver and I'm going to the Whitsunday Islands, Australia, in November for 2 days. (Can't go to Cairns/Port Douglas due to time/budget constraints.) Diving the Great Barrier Reef proper (outer reef) while I am there is a must. I have been researching but can't seem to find an operator, for what I want, without giving them a kidney. I want to do a day trip (open to a 2 day / 1 night live aboard depending on the $) and dive 2-3 times/dy with a guide. I don't want to dive with 30 other people, see lots of dead coral, lack of ocean life, or just sand and murky water. I'd love to go with a smaller operation more family or mom/pop place and a place more focused on conservation would be a huge bonus. (I also need to hire a photographer too if possible.) I have to book something in the next few days so I really hope someone can help.

Thank you!

I have been researching but can't seem to find an operator, for what I want, without giving them a kidney. I want to do a day trip (open to a 2 day / 1 night live aboard depending on the $) and dive 2-3 times/dy with a guide.
Operating a boat is expensive and the reef is pretty far off shore so getting there isn't cheap either. If you wanna go in a small group it's even more expensive. The crew needs to pay rent and they need to eat. It's not expensive because the operators are making a ton of money.

Sorry to say, but what you want is not going to be cheap.

BTW: The normal day trips are fine and they also go out to the reef, there is not gonna be 'just sand, dead coral and murky water'.

I live just north of the Whitsundays. It is not cheap to dive here, sorry to say.

If you want to dive, you need to budget accordingly. Even the "budget" operators are not cheap here. You underestimate the distance from the mainland to the reef. It is hours each way. Fuel is expensive. Staff are expensive. Meeting mandatory safety regulations is expensive. This is just a fact of life in Queensland.

There are no "mom and pop" places around here. It isn't viable given the distance to the reef. You will be on a boat with 20-30 other people at an absolute minimum. You don't get your own personal photographer either. Most boats will employ one to wander around and randomly take shots of people, but they are not dedicated to you. Or they have hire cameras for taking your own. to hire your own personal photograper, you would have to pay their trip expenses, and freelance consulting rate. I can give you names, but to be honest, if you think the trip is expensive now, hiring a photographer is well beyond your budget.

Save your dollars elsewhere and splurge for diving on the reef.

Thank you
Hi ! I'm new to the site and not sure where to post what questions so forgive me if I'm doing it wrong to start.

I am beginner certified scuba diver and I'm going to the Whitsunday Islands, Australia, in November for 2 days. (Can't go to Cairns/Port Douglas due to time/budget constraints.) Diving the Great Barrier Reef proper (outer reef) while I am there is a must. I have been researching but can't seem to find an operator, for what I want, without giving them a kidney. I want to do a day trip (open to a 2 day / 1 night live aboard depending on the $) and dive 2-3 times/dy with a guide. I don't want to dive with 30 other people, see lots of dead coral, lack of ocean life, or just sand and murky water. I'd love to go with a smaller operation more family or mom/pop place and a place more focused on conservation would be a huge bonus. (I also need to hire a photographer too if possible.) I have to book something in the next few days so I really hope someone can help.

Thank you!

UPDATE: After a LOT more research and the helpful advice from folks such as yourselves we've decided to dive in Port Douglas and not go to the Whitsundays. We've made adjustments to all of our flights and plans (and budget) in order to make this possible. We are going to do a one day dive and hire a personal camera (not a photographer). I'm still in search of the best smaller group/personal service boat available but I think (hope) just diving from PD alone will help provide us with the experience we are looking for, which is more personal, calm, and very informative. If any one has any operator suggestions PLEASE let me know! I would very much appreciate it. :)

I live just north of the Whitsundays. It is not cheap to dive here, sorry to say.

If you want to dive, you need to budget accordingly. Even the "budget" operators are not cheap here. You underestimate the distance from the mainland to the reef. It is hours each way. Fuel is expensive. Staff are expensive. Meeting mandatory safety regulations is expensive. This is just a fact of life in Queensland.

There are no "mom and pop" places around here. It isn't viable given the distance to the reef. You will be on a boat with 20-30 other people at an absolute minimum. You don't get your own personal photographer either. Most boats will employ one to wander around and randomly take shots of people, but they are not dedicated to you. Or they have hire cameras for taking your own. to hire your own personal photograper, you would have to pay their trip expenses, and freelance consulting rate. I can give you names, but to be honest, if you think the trip is expensive now, hiring a photographer is well beyond your budget.

Thank you very much for all the information you provided! I really appreciate it. I tried to write an update to my original post but I can't seem to figure out how to work this yet. Here is what I said:
UPDATE: After a LOT more research and the helpful advice from folks such as yourselves we've decided to dive in Port Douglas and not go to the Whitsundays. We've made adjustments to all of our flights and plans (and budget) in order to make this possible. We are going to do a one day dive and hire a personal camera (not a photographer). I'm still in search of the best smaller group/personal service boat available but I think (hope) just diving from PD alone will help provide us with the experience we are looking for, which is more personal, calm, and very informative. If you have any operator suggestions for PD PLEASE let me know! :)

Operating a boat is expensive and the reef is pretty far off shore so getting there isn't cheap either. If you wanna go in a small group it's even more expensive. The crew needs to pay rent and they need to eat. It's not expensive because the operators are making a ton of money.

Sorry to say, but what you want is not going to be cheap.

BTW: The normal day trips are fine and they also go out to the reef, there is not gonna be 'just sand, dead coral and murky water'.

Thank you very much for all the information you provided! I really appreciate it. I tried to write an update to my original post but I can't seem to figure out how to work this yet. Here is what I said:
UPDATE: After a LOT more research and the helpful advice from folks such as yourselves we've decided to dive in Port Douglas and not go to the Whitsundays. We've made adjustments to all of our flights and plans (and budget) in order to make this possible. We are going to do a one day dive and hire a personal camera (not a photographer). I'm still in search of the best smaller group/personal service boat available but I think (hope) just diving from PD alone will help provide us with the experience we are looking for, which is more personal, calm, and very informative. If you have any operator suggestions for PD PLEASE let me know! :)

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA.....good luck on your trip and have fun diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom